Discuss economy7 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mike62

-
Reaction score
Sorry if this is an obvious question but I qualified outside the UK and have had no experience with economy7. I have recently completed the 17th edition.

I have an antiquated consumer board that has an isolator with four fuses (2 x 5A & 2 x15A). Another separate 45A fused isolator for shower. Two other fuse boxes come directly from the teleswitch, one is for the storage heaters and is now redundant and the other has 2 x 15A fuses.

If a 17th edition consumer unit was installed to replace the existing setup, would you use two separate units, one for premium rate and the other for low rate? Any advice would be welcome. I will however now read up what the regs and OSG has to say. Thanks in advance..

why not get the supplier to remove the economy seven meter and fit a standard meter...!! get a standard price that you can use day and night with out hassle and do away with them silly additional CU's

The owner has specifically asked to keep it, I have my doubts that it saves any real money as she now doesnt use storage heaters. She may go that way but assuming she doesnt I would like to know how you guys will deal with it.

my second CU change was a econ 7 with 2 CU one for heaters that had been removed and sold for scrap and other for day to day stuff...

all out and reconnected in a nice shiny 5+5 CU on the Perm Feed from Meter..!! removed redundant tails from meter for eco 7 and job done..!!

inform the woman that her premium rate may actually be more than the standard tariff and if she dont utilise her eco 7 part of meter then she save no money but may be spending more!

Thanks Steve

One other thing, I was advised by another spark to clip the supply fuse tag and remove it to clear supply from the CU to work on it. Whats your feeling about this?

Thanks Steve

One other thing, I was advised by another spark to clip the supply fuse tag and remove it to clear supply from the CU to work on it. Whats your feeling about this?

remove tags thats a definite no no don`t do it. but if you said there was never a tag there well........
i have never removed a tag :rolleyes: there has never been one there. i have a good way of twisting them so they go back on as good as they were now. not that i would interupt or remove the service fuse :cool:

my thoughts are that if they don`t want us messing with the cut out they should put dp isolators in when they are going round fitting new meters. we had ours replaced last year and that would have been the ideal oppertunity for them to do it but hey what do i know i am just an electrician

i dont give a flying toot!!! any thing that involves new tails or Cu the fuse falls out!!! tagged or no tagged!!

if the elecy board whinge i just tell em the board was cooking and taken out for safety!! :rolleyes:

Ok thanks for all the advice, it's been very helpful. But back to the question. Is it two CUs , say an 8 way for premium and a 4 way for eco7. Or is there a single unit I could use. The split units I see all seem to have a single bus bar.

Ok thanks for all the advice, it's been very helpful. But back to the question. Is it two CUs , say an 8 way for premium and a 4 way for eco7. Or is there a single unit I could use. The split units I see all seem to have a single bus bar.

NO...!!

as the Eco 7 kicks in at 12 midnight and the premium rate service is also live!!!

Ok.
Yes, I realise you wouldn't have them both on the same bus, but just thought someone might suggest splitting the live rail within a split CU.

Thanks, I shal suggest going to premium only and if she won't have it I will get 2 CUs. Btw, tags and crimper have been ordered and on it's way.

a safe means of isolation must be provided..except for the leccy boards. I need to get electricuted and then use one of them no win no fee type people..and let a judge decide, just show him the regs book...hey presto several thousands (depending on my trauma, I don't like football/sex/food anymore...in that order -;)

I remember years ago, they used to put a notice beside the meter, in red letters...Removing these seals could incur a £15.00 fine. They don't do that anymore?

btw, economy 7 means 7 quid added to bill every quarter...might be 70 quid now. It took me while to work out the maths. But it was a con, because the tariff during the day was higher than the standard price. I needed to be very power hungry at night to be viable, something like 8kw continuous from midnight to 7am, I was doing about 4kw in winter, hardly nothing in summer.
It is a con, unless very power hungry at night. Check the small print

There can't be too many cut outs with original seals intact! I'm agreeing with steve here, I don't mess about with cut outs. Being ex electricity board also helps. Big roll of paper seals. I also carry a set of those new wire seals too.

Reply to economy7 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net