• Thread starter shagbite
  • Start date
  • Replies 164
  • Views 11K

Currently reading:
EF's referendum on the EU.

Discuss EF's referendum on the EU. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

IN or OUT of the EU

• IN

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • OUT

Votes: 35 83.3%

• Total voters
S

shagbite

it looks like cameron's finally going to address the big european question sometime this week. hopefully, we'll get the long overdue referendum on whether we leave the EU or stay in the EU.
i figured it'd be a good idea to have our own vote, right here on the forum, to gauge the mood of the UK's electricians.

the vote's a simple in/out choice.

in = stay part of the EU.
out = leave the EU.

i'll kick things off with an emphatic 'OUT'.

that's fair enough murdoch.

i didn't want to give the option of 'undecided' because i wanted people's votes to be based on opinions that they hold today (based on the facts that are available). we already know the facts about un-restricted immigration, low wages, unemployment and the financial cost of staying in the eu. granted, cameron will probably spout some rhetoric about re-writing the rules, but the maastricht treaty won't allow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
my vote would definately be out there are too many foreigners being allowed here and with albania set to join the eu there will be a lot more,they vastly underestimated the amount of poles coming here and current thinking is there will be even more albanians who are i believe more likely to be interested in our benfits system than employment.I had a debate on this the other day and although some people blame the immigrants for taking jobs at a lower wage,it is my belief that lower wages are only offered by unscrupulous employers because there are people willing to accept them.If the problem of mass immigration was stopped then these employers would have to pay decent wages.however the government seems reluctant to discourage this as they get tax and their fatcat friends benefit also.

I follow the politics of the EU closely and as is at present 90% of all decisions that effect you and me directly are now made by the un-elected EU gravy train, DC has his hands tightly bound and will not give a straight IN / OUT referendum ... we are also a key chess piece for the USA as they use us to negotiate deals in the EU so they are putting pressure on DC too to stay in.... kinda of funny that he was the one that if elected he would give the referendum but thats before his puppet strings were attached.

If we were to exit it could make us a very strong player in the world market but dont get me wrong here its going to be a bumpy ride if we exit... to start with big corporate companies may shift to other shores and many many thousands of jobs go in all the upheaval as trade deals with EU members collapse but having said this we import 46 billion more than we export so we have the edge here as they need us more than we need them, the big issue here is free trade with rest of the world because the EU is trying to grow it create steps to limit the UK trading outside the EU and if we exit we have free reign to trade with who we want and as much as we want .. this in itself could see britain been GREAT once again and not to mention the 300 000 thousand lost jobs in the fishing industry due to EU meddling could be reversed..

To be honest the list goes on and too big a subject to post on a thread... but Cam' is a very scared person at the moment with public opinion running at over 60% wanting out and hes losing the confidence of half his back benches - his biggest threat is UKIP and Nigel Farage and Yes! they used to be a gimmick party many years ago but they are now very different and a real threat to him ..hes even trying to bring in laws now that keeps UKIP out of political discussions and debate as they are not one of three top parties, its a desperate measure from a desperate man but probably wont work as UKIP are now expected to come 3rd pushing Lib dems out of the way.... this is why Farage is trying to set a deal with Conservative to form a coalition only on the basis we are given a true IN / OUT vote, Cameron could decline this but risks losing power at the next election and whoever wins will need to form a coalition as the polls stand at the moment and LIB Dems wont really be an option this time.

So i doubt we will be promised a true referendum anytime but a well worded stay in as we are or accept more EU legislation and meddling, basically he hasn't got the balls to do it, he's really in a no win situe'

Do you listen to the majority of the voting public (40million)and walk away from the EU or do you bow to the pressure of every EU country and USA who are already pulling your strings and can make life very difficult for him.

Edit applied regarding error on my wording regarding Import and Export.

Last edited:
Out for me, had enough of this country being ruled by unelected bureaucrats , accounts that auditors will not sign off , this being the 18th year in a row,(pigs in trough springs to mind), immigration, human rights, to name but a few.

Darkwood,I hear what you say mate at the end of the day he was elected to do what the people want,however his version of what we want and ours seem to differ,we should not be puppets of the yanks,as regards becoming like them as has been said in the press then it seems to me we are only becoming like them on the negatives,I could not believe that last week there was talk of legalising drugs and selling them in chemists as it was proving too hard to eliminate the problem.So okay again the government will win by receiving tax from the sale of said drugs but the misery won't end for the victims of crimes perpetrated by these addicts in the quest to fund their habit,or will they have to prove their source of income before purchase?That doesn't seem to matter as the government will still be getting revenue from the sale of drugs which at the moment it isn't, and as we all know they hate losing an opportunity to make money.DC needs to grow a pair now,take heed of what the people want and tell the EU and US where to get off.what a change to indulge in an intelligent debate on here,pity DC wont read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Drug legalising comments are well timed ...well badly on this occasion its a empty ruse that was meant to take alot of the focus of the friday speech but as it was all set up to coincide with the press response to the EU speech little did he realise the hostage situe would postpone his speech so i wouldn't be supprised if you get another political empty ruse either tommorow or wed' (speech day) .. he knows hes going to get ripped apart by the press so if he gives them other things to focus on it can reduce the coverage and time spent researching his speech.... its an old hand tactic as is burying bad news amongst good to soften the blow.

The EU wont ever kick us out as it could be the final straw and the catalyst that brings the EU crashing plus millions we pour in daily would stop which would really put a strain on things... the disaster that is already a failure would be then blamed on Cam' and britain for it collapse but obviously it was doomed to fail anyway and now Merkal very worried as shes not doing good in the poles in her own country and if she loses well she wont have control to milk the germans of the nations money .... i give it 2 years as the big cracks are already appearing

sod the EU. we managed without napoleon and hitler. we managed without the septics for 2 years in WWII. as geordie so aptly put it " OUT.OUT.OUT!"

The Drug legalising comments are well timed ...well badly on this occasion its a empty ruse that was meant to take alot of the focus of the friday speech but as it was all set up to coincide with the press response to the EU speech little did he realise the hostage situe would postpone his speech so i wouldn't be supprised if you get another political empty ruse either tommorow or wed' (speech day) .. he knows hes going to get ripped apart by the press so if he gives them other things to focus on it can reduce the coverage and time spent researching his speech.... its an old hand tactic as is burying bad news amongst good to soften the blow.

The EU wont ever kick us out as it could be the final straw and the catalyst that brings the EU crashing plus millions we pour in daily would stop which would really put a strain on things... the disaster that is already a failure would be then blamed on Cam' and britain for it collapse but obviously it was doomed to fail anyway and now Merkal very worried as shes not doing good in the poles in her own country and if she loses well she wont have control to milk the germans of the nations money .... i give it 2 years as the big cracks are already appearing
Agreed bet he's sat up all night praying for a major disaster to take the focus from his speech,either way he's only postponing the inevitable.

Hmmm! No one willing to argue the staying in corner then be nice to hear a few strong opinions on that side of the court..
If it were still what it was when it was set up IE a group of trading partners with no restrictions on that trade then I'd be arguing for staying in. As it stands there's no way I can justify that opinion

Shagbite, you missed (for comedic purposes) Option 3 - Shake it all about.

:laugh3: it's been a long day.

Slightly in Murdoch's view here - undecided because haven't read all the facts. But from being a 'Daily Politics' viewer when possible, and from what has been debated on there in the past - i am swaying for OUT.

Out gets my vote.

Out.if we or one of the other main players pulls out the house of cards will fall and quickly.i can see no advantage of us being in it really. The unchecked euro migration social engineering project has been a disaster.for the man in the street anyway.
ireland did alright out of it for a while ...look at the shape of it now.a free trade agreement was the right way to start with.a common currency and economic policy for all was never gonna work for all the countries in it.as for the special relationship between us and the yanks wtf! They don't have the clout they used to after we paid them back for ww2, they need told to do one on our terms, no more futile conflicts for us mr Cameron.they way countries used to get out of a slump was to devalue the currency to make exports cheaper just as china has done for years ,can't do that being in the euro zone.eaton Dave is bricking it indeed.

the EU is run for the benefit of the frogs and the krauts, and of course the parasites that ride the gravy train. if the money that was wasted in the EU was ploughed into this country we would then have a GREAT BRITAIN once more.

the special relationship - if that's what it is - dosen't mean the US can stick their oar into our domestic policies. they're not interested in what's good for us, only what's good for them. don't get me wrong, i like america, but our country should be run for our benefit, not theirs.

Thing is the EU was set up to protect the french farners...

The whole lot needs a review IMHO.

I'd liek to know how long the Germans are prepared to bank roll the weaker, poorer states.

I'm all for staying In M8, I'm opposed to whatever the Tory's want :smile:

I respect everyones vote but you are lacking a defense here in the light of the general theme of the posts...

If you prefer to keep your reasons to yourself its understandable just trying to get a argument in favour of IN as oppose to a blind answer.

Reply to EF's referendum on the EU. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock