Discuss EICR coding check? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just completed an EICR.

The lighting circuit has an earth leaving the CU, then some lights have 2 core going to them (L + N) and some twin and earth, no continuity of CPC even at the ones with an earth. There are some metal light fittings that require an earth and also metal screws in the light switches. Am I right in thinking that if I change the lights to class 2 and replace screws with plastic screws then this would suffice and it would then be a C3?

Are these plastic screws readily available? They all seem to be 25mm long which would not be long enough for some of the switches.

In addition... what are peoples thoughts on imperial cable. The sockets are wired in imperial cable, therefore (thanks to @pc1966 's recent dating thread) they will be 50+ years old. IR results are 20Mohms and no green goo. I was thinking C3? I realise they pass all tests but it is very old. Perhaps you guys would not code it at all?

Cheers all.

No. Assuming this is a dwelling you can't use Class II as a level of protection.
Could you expand a bit please Westward? Are you saying you would code a lighting circuit (domestic) without an earth as a C2, even if all lights are standard plastic pendants?

Best practise guide 4 states C2 for class 1 lights without earth and C3 for Class 2 without earth.

You are saying you have Class I fittings. Class II cannot be used in a dwelling as a means of protection. Class II protection must be monitored to prevent incorrect changes to the installation.

You are saying you have Class I fittings. Class II cannot be used in a dwelling as a means of protection. Class II protection must be monitored to prevent incorrect changes to the installation.
Thanks Westward.

Would your only choice be to rewire the lights then? Or at least get an earth to each light and switch?

As no have no CPC continuity it would be a C2 regardless of accessories.
Thanks Strima,

Could I ask what would you code a lighting circuit with all class 2 fittings but no CPC?

You said CPC at DB and various parts of the circuit. This would be discontinuous and a C2

If there was no CPC and class 2 accessories then C3, class 1 accessories would be a C2.

You said CPC at DB and various parts of the circuit. This would be discontinuous and a C2

If there was no CPC and class 2 accessories then C3, class 1 accessories would be a C2.
So what would be the difference in terms of safety between a lighting circuit without a CPC and a lighting circuit with a CPC which did not have continuity? Both with all class 2.

With your post you would class the first as safe but improvement needed and the second as potentially dangerous.

Unless the installation is monitored you cannot use Class II as a means of safety. I will C2 regardless.

Last edited:
With a discontinuous CPC someone could connect a class 1 accessory and consider it safely earthed as they would nice that nice bit of bare copper there. Also a fault on the circuit could make exposed conductive parts live and not necessarily in the same room as the fault.

IMO changing the fittings from class1 to class2 is better than nothing and leaving as is, however coding would still warrant C2, all circuits should have CPC and we haven't discussed RCD protection.

As for the sockets imperial cable, so 7/029 PVC if the physical condition looks ok and test's are 20Mohms no code for me.

With a discontinuous CPC someone could connect a class 1 accessory and consider it safely earthed as they would nice that nice bit of bare copper there. Also a fault on the circuit could make exposed conductive parts live and not necessarily in the same room as the fault.
Some good reasons, thanks.

Another option....

What I am trying to do is give some options for the customer rather than a rewire of the lights. If I earthed the lights that have a CPC going to them, but not the ones that didn't, then I have continuity of CPC back to the CU and all is ok for those lights. The ones that have no earth going to them would be plastic pendants. They would not be in danger of livening up the CPC under fault conditions as there is no CPC, also it is clear they have no earth so anybody fitting a new light would see this, just as they would on a lighting circuit without CPC.

How does this sound?

You are assuming someone replacing a light would realise there is no cpc. This is a dwelling you can never assume this, consider you already have Class I lights with no earth someone didn't realise this.

Reply to EICR coding check? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock