Discuss EICR ....I was amazed ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fair do's for that, Gav. If you want the work, I hope you get it, at a fair price, of course. I just hope you're lucky with the landlord and she realises what's involved and is prepared to pay for it.
As you know, lots of landlords involved couldn't care less and just want something with a logo and signature....so they can get the cash coming in.
We had some remedials at a very high class golf club, with some very famous members, after a T+I by a major, nationally known company. They did the absolute minimum and really made a pig's ear of it. All seventy odd pages were put together very professionally.....probably by an accounts clerk.
Banes council are actually cracking down on hmo standards. As they all come up for relicensing they are looking at the previous eicr and then the new one. Any major differences are being queried. Somebody in the council knows the basics it seems. Also the fire brigade are being very strict on the fire alarm systems. Fire doors etc..
I have been told by other landlord that the case officers have on the quiet suggested decent electricians for eicrs.
As they know some are just cowboys.
I wont jeopardise the good reputation i am building up on iffy eicrs and slap dash paperwork.

I don't agree that Global IR testing is lazy and sloppy. Often on EICR's disconnecting neutrals for a particular circuit is difficult at best, sometimes nigh on impossible, particularly as it is best practice to test and inspect with as little dismantling and disturbance as is reasonable. If a global IR test gives a satisfactory reading then all final circuits will have been verified as having a satisfactory IR reading. That is the purpose of an EICR. A blanket statement that global testing is lazy and sloppy simply does not take into account site conditions.

I take your point there and can see that I was probably looking over critical but with the general poor quality of the report in question the global IR testing just reinforced my opinion of it.
But if you're filling in the same readings for all circuits that share a neutral bar you're going with the poorest reading of all the circuits [although it may well be an acceptable reading] and the individual circuit results filled in will be mostly incorrect.
Sorry I'd rather stick to doing the job thoroughly.

I take your point there and can see that I was probably looking over critical but with the general poor quality of the report in question the global IR testing just reinforced my opinion of it.
But if you're filling in the same readings for all circuits that share a neutral bar you're going with the poorest reading of all the circuits [although it may well be an acceptable reading] and the individual circuit results filled in will be mostly incorrect.
Sorry I'd rather stick to doing the job thoroughly.
When I do a global test I don't fill in the reading on each individual circuit, I state in the extent of work that the IR reading for DBXXX is a global reading and put the result on the first circuit test result in the schedule.
Not aimed at you Dave, but there is an awful lot of testicles talked about IR tests on EICR's from some electricians. I had a conversation with one recently in CEF, he insisted he always does a full IR test on every circuit, which would include a test between live conductors. So he goes round and disconnects the 25 transformers in the kitchen downlights before testing does he......because if he doesn't he's going to get 0.00 megohms......yeah right. Like I said, utter testicles.
If I'm faced with a birds nest and none of the neutrals are in any order I make no apology for doing a global, it makes sense.

I will say thanks to the OP for posting this. The more EICR’s or codings we share the better I think. It seems the norm for a bit of healthy discussion as to what code to give. The regs can be ambiguous and open to interpretation to a point - but this report is way off - C1 happy.

C1 is of course ‘immediate danger’ - which to me suggests ‘turn it off NOW!’

- saying that I do give C1’s for things like missing blanks in consumer units - as this seems to be the suggested code, but hesitate in giving that coding as it seems less likely that someone will get hurt than an exposed live cable end close to a child’s sand-pit.

Perhaps the person carrying out the report was working to 18th edition ‘new installation’ standards, and forgetting that the installation only needs to be compliant with the regs at the time of install? That might explain some of it?
Who knows.
forgetting that the installation only needs to be compliant with the regs at the time of install? I find this a bit confusing af if installs only need to comply with rules at time of install does that imply that all previous regulations need to be learned, eg a 24 year old needs to learn what the regs were in 16th editions??

My grandmothers house was wired to the 13th edition to a very high standard. There are no CPCs in the switch drops and no RCDs on either the normal or off peak supplies. The wiring has not been altered since installation with the exception of replacing 2 light fittings and 2 worn sockets. Supplementary bonding is installed in the bathroom and kitchen and main bonding is installed to the water supply. The 3036 holders all have the correct size wires in them. Loop readings all good.

If I lived there, the only thing I'd bother changing would be swapping the garage and summer house sockets for a RCD sockets as they both supply equipment outside (lawnmower). And I'm sure my 94 year old grandmother won't want the bother of a rewire...

Rcd sockets are a great example these could be used more rather than the alternative used eg sorry Mrs you need a new board but we know why that’s done ££

A pair of new consumer units would certainly improve the safety of the installation though. But I would not consider the existing installation dangerous.

Global I.R. testing too, lazy and sloppy IMO, and a Ze of 0.12 ohms obtained 'by enquiry' ?? The local DNO must be really on the case there eh. :D
Possibly lazy, but I'm not sure about sloppy. I 'occasionally' do a global IR test and if it is >2MΩ I wont IR each circuit separately, usually I do but not always. Depends a bit on your pre-EICR chat with the customer, time constraints and messiness of the CU. However, the word sloppy applies to just about all of the rest of the report!

Perhaps the person carrying out the report was working to 18th edition ‘new installation’ standards, and forgetting that the installation only needs to be compliant with the regs at the time of install? That might explain some of it?
Who knows.

This is incorrect, an EICR is carried out to the current regulations. However only non-compliances affecting electrical safety should be recorded and given a code.
Non-compliances which do not affect electrical safety, such as red, yellow, blue phase colours do not get coded.

This is incorrect, an EICR is carried out to the current regulations. However only non-compliances affecting electrical safety should be recorded and given a code.
Non-compliances which do not affect electrical safety, such as red, yellow, blue phase colours do not get coded.

Fair enough. It’s kind of what I was trying to say. I just didn’t articulate it very well.

At-all.

Reply to EICR ....I was amazed ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock