Discuss EICR issue. Need advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You and Dartlec have both spotted what I couldn't be bothered to list (although I'd missed a few myself in a scan read), I think we can ALL agree that this is not an inspection to a suitable standard.
I should just copy and paste my answer ...Its always the same .The whole set up and Policing of these tests must have been done by someone with the brains of Diane Abbott .Its a total Joke .Today at a Trade showroom, someone was again saying he was making up to a grand a day filling them out and dropping them off . Not just one week.... probably made 80k with no real effort .

I should just copy and paste my answer ...Its always the same .The whole set up and Policing of these tests must have been done by someone with the brains of Diane Abbott .Its a total Joke .Today at a Trade showroom, someone was again saying he was making up to a grand a day filling them out and dropping them off . Not just one week.... probably made 80k with no real effort .
And which scam was he with ?.
It's people like that who put people potentially at risk because of their dodgy EICR's

And which scam was he with ?.
It's people like that who put people potentially at risk because of their dodgy EICR's
I doubt he used his real details as it was all cash and he probably had a CV19 government loan etc !. Just cheap landlords wanting a ticket to keep things legal if the tenant ask about it etc

Hi guys, here is the report minus personal details. As I mentioned the electrician stated today that he made a mistake and the two issues stated as FI's should be C2's.Thanks

The first 5 digits of the EICR serial number are the registered electricians operative number with NAPIT, you can check their credentials out on NAPIT website and see if that is the same engineer that carried out the EICR.

I’m sure others will correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that if you’re a company registered with NAPIT, then all your operators need to be registered too, and you can’t just sign off the cert on their behalf. Unlike with the NIC where you only need one QS for the company.

Hi guys, I have an update. So the first electrician who failed the EICR never came back with my request to put the issues in writing. Surprise surprise!
I had someone else there today and has come back stating that only the two lights in the shower room need changing and that I definitely didn't require having all 20 lights in the flat changed as advised by the first guy who came. So, obviously I'm very happy about that and very glad I questioned the first report.
However I now need more advice as the electrician who conducted the check today has quoted 1-1.5hrs at £100 per hour plus cost of lights.
This seems a bit steep to me but I may be out of touch.
If it is steep and I get someone else to do the job would they amend the report from a fail to a pass. I'm not sure how this works.

Hi guys, I have an update. So the first electrician who failed the EICR never came back with my request to put the issues in writing. Surprise surprise!
I had someone else there today and has come back stating that only the two lights in the shower room need changing and that I definitely didn't require having all 20 lights in the flat changed as advised by the first guy who came. So, obviously I'm very happy about that and very glad I questioned the first report.
However I now need more advice as the electrician who conducted the check today has quoted 1-1.5hrs at £100 per hour plus cost of lights.
If it is steep and I get someone else to do the job would they amend the report from a fail to a pass. I'm not sure how this works.
I’d quit whilst ahead if I were you….

£100 an hour to change shower lights does sound steep to me, outside of Central London maybe.

A lot of it is dependent on area and workload of course though - and a lot of firms will find a small job less convenient than a larger job, since it makes scheduling work harder. Whether they are VAT registered may also have an impact of course.

In terms of the report, no-one apart from the original contractor can 'amend the report from a fail to a pass'

However, that isn't what is needed by the legislation (though it's what many estate agents and letting agencies seem to think)

A report that is "unsatisfactory" merely means that there is remedial work that must be completed (specified in the legislation as within 30 days, though with no real basis for that other than picking a number).

As the landlord, you must show that the remedial work has been completed. How is not specified, though invoices/written documentation is the easiest method. (in theory there is nothing stopping a single hand written sheet of paper saying 'all remedial works are complete' from being appended - although of course that looks less than professional and would be easily open to question from anyone in future)

The combination of the original document plus the evidence of remedial work, is your proof that the electrical installation is as required in the regulations.

There is then no further need for a retest until the next 5 year period. There is no requirement to obtain a new report that states 'satisfactory' on the front.

The issue with this is that many people know only to look for the 'satisfactory' box on the certificate and never look any further.

The wrinkle comes where the remedial works are not clearly specified, or indeed are questionable as in your case.

The ideal outcome would be to have a new report done by someone who knows what they are doing - after the lights have been done, so you get a nice simple 'satisfactory'.

One of the issues with the legislation is that the legal responsibility falls upon the Landlord to carry out suitable testing.

If there was an incident and the report you have was investigated by any expert body, I think there are enough issues with it to raise serious questions about its validity as a representation of your installation.

That should not be your issue of course, since you used a supposedly competent person. And it's likely that none of the errors within the report are themselves 'dangerous' in terms of missing red flags that should have been picked up. But it may be something to consider.

An alternative that I think would be acceptable under the regulations, would be for another competent electrician to carry out the required changes (lights in shower) and then issue documentation that states that all necessary remedial work has been carried out. Whether you can find one willing to do that without themselves carrying out further testing is another matter.

Apologies that there is not a 'neater' solution in this case.

IMO the best outcome would be that you pay nothing for the first report and obtain a better quality report from someone who can proofread and knows how to fill in certificates.

£100 an hour to change shower lights does sound steep to me, outside of Central London maybe.

A lot of it is dependent on area and workload of course though - and a lot of firms will find a small job less convenient than a larger job, since it makes scheduling work harder. Whether they are VAT registered may also have an impact of course.

In terms of the report, no-one apart from the original contractor can 'amend the report from a fail to a pass'

However, that isn't what is needed by the legislation (though it's what many estate agents and letting agencies seem to think)

A report that is "unsatisfactory" merely means that there is remedial work that must be completed (specified in the legislation as within 30 days, though with no real basis for that other than picking a number).

As the landlord, you must show that the remedial work has been completed. How is not specified, though invoices/written documentation is the easiest method. (in theory there is nothing stopping a single hand written sheet of paper saying 'all remedial works are complete' from being appended - although of course that looks less than professional and would be easily open to question from anyone in future)

The combination of the original document plus the evidence of remedial work, is your proof that the electrical installation is as required in the regulations.

There is then no further need for a retest until the next 5 year period. There is no requirement to obtain a new report that states 'satisfactory' on the front.

The issue with this is that many people know only to look for the 'satisfactory' box on the certificate and never look any further.

The wrinkle comes where the remedial works are not clearly specified, or indeed are questionable as in your case.

The ideal outcome would be to have a new report done by someone who knows what they are doing - after the lights have been done, so you get a nice simple 'satisfactory'.

One of the issues with the legislation is that the legal responsibility falls upon the Landlord to carry out suitable testing.

If there was an incident and the report you have was investigated by any expert body, I think there are enough issues with it to raise serious questions about its validity as a representation of your installation.

That should not be your issue of course, since you used a supposedly competent person. And it's likely that none of the errors within the report are themselves 'dangerous' in terms of missing red flags that should have been picked up. But it may be something to consider.

An alternative that I think would be acceptable under the regulations, would be for another competent electrician to carry out the required changes (lights in shower) and then issue documentation that states that all necessary remedial work has been carried out. Whether you can find one willing to do that without themselves carrying out further testing is another matter.

Apologies that there is not a 'neater' solution in this case.

IMO the best outcome would be that you pay nothing for the first report and obtain a better quality report from someone who can proofread and knows how to fill in certificates.
Hi, thank you so much for your very comprehensive response, I really appreciate your time and effort in helping me out with sound advice. I have decided to go with the quote I was given. He is going to produce the report after doing the job and therefore I will get a satisfactory report. Hopefully that will be the end of this saga!
Thanks again, I wish you all the very best and carry on the great work!

I have just responded to Dartlec but I'd like to thank all of you for your help. It's been a steep learning curve and I honestly don't know how I would have navigated it all without your input. It's comforting to know there are good and honest people out there when you come up against such an immoral person who for sure is using this tactic to swindle others.
This probably will not shock you but this guy is on the NAPIT site as a recommended electrician. I didn't know that until I started doubting his report and looked him up. Makes me wonder how they screen people.
Anyway, you have all restored my faith!!
Thank you.

Reply to EICR issue. Need advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock