Discuss elecsa v niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

brs73

-
Reaction score
i'm currently registered with elecsa under the part p scheme
i'm fully qualified,c&g electricians cert in '94,jib approved,17th ed,nvq3 (no 2391 though) blah blah
what's the best body between the two to be 'down' with
taking into account cost,support etc
what do you need to do to be an approved contractor (nic)rather than a domestic installer(nic) because you see all manner of people displaying a dom installer logo.
i'm fed up of having to explain to callers that elecsa is the same thing as niceic.
some people even ask for discounts because i'm not niceic!!!!

Elecsa are perfect if you want to just 'get on with job' and comply.

However, NIC are generally known for their lack of support to contractors, but then, they are a body set up for the customer, not the electrician. They also ask for a more from a contractor, than the minimum requirements set out by the government.

Their approved contractor scheme is mainly for commercial and industrial electricians, so you would need to show them, amongst other things, some commercial jobs you have done for your assessment.

If you are being asked if you are NIC and you are loosing work because you are not, then you only have one option. But be prepared to sort out your own problems.

Having said all that, there are some electricians that are quite happy with them.

i'm currently registered with elecsa under the part p scheme
i'm fully qualified,c&g electricians cert in '94,jib approved,17th ed,nvq3 (no 2391 though) blah blah
what's the best body between the two to be 'down' with
taking into account cost,support etc
what do you need to do to be an approved contractor (nic)rather than a domestic installer(nic) because you see all manner of people displaying a dom installer logo.
i'm fed up of having to explain to callers that elecsa is the same thing as niceic.
some people even ask for discounts because i'm not niceic!!!!

I was with nic now with elecsa, elecsa more friendly and imo were stricter on my assessment , if i get asked i explain elecsa owned by eca and british gas/electric are with them. touch wood i havn't lost a job because of it. at the moment i'm getting asked if i will give a discount for no cert.:eek:

Hi I was with nappit for 1 year then went with nic basically because they are well known.I get jobs that specify nic registration - most people have no idea who elesca or nappit are.Been with nic for 3 years and going for approved status.I find them fine no problems,sometimes call tech support who can solve problems.One thing frustrating is that all part p governing bodies have different values, for instance nappit will make you earth metal back boxes where as nic dont.With the nic to join the domestic installer scheme you dont even need to be a registered sparky !!! I believe that there should be 1 scheme all of us belong to !!!!! Ps Sorry no nothing about elesca !

I'm with NICEIC, not bad, but contacting them is a ball ache!
Mate of mine is with Elecsa, from what he has told me Elecsa are far more superior
when it comes to support etc. (I might join them & leave NICEIC)

Hi I was with nappit for 1 year then went with nic basically because they are well known.I get jobs that specify nic registration - most people have no idea who elesca or nappit are.Been with nic for 3 years and going for approved status.I find them fine no problems,sometimes call tech support who can solve problems.One thing frustrating is that all part p governing bodies have different values, for instance nappit will make you earth metal back boxes where as nic dont.With the nic to join the domestic installer scheme you dont even need to be a registered sparky !!! I believe that there should be 1 scheme all of us belong to !!!!! Ps Sorry no nothing about elesca !

What is a registered sparky?

what sort of things do they ask on asessment, can your assessment be at home, showing jobs youve done etc.....which one is the more stringent...how can you fail assessment.....im working shifts at the mo and get quite a lot of time off so im thinking of starting out doing some domestic work or something but need to get my house in order first and do some groundwork, will also be interesting to any ones views or opinions thanks in advance....

NICEIC are for the customer, not the contractor.

ECA/Elecsa and the others are there for the contractor.

I have just started on my own and am with Elecsa. I had my assesment last Wednesday. It was very thorough. He asked me lots of technical questions, watched me test and checked all my documents.
As it was my first time and going on my own I didnt have any work to show the assessor so I only had the option to change my own consumer unit in my house. He said that this was fine but next year if i could get two jobs one in progress on completed that would be good.
I get a bit ****** off with all the TV programs that only say use an NIC approved electrician. They should mention the ECA and Elecsa as we have had to be assessed and signed off before we work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that seriously true about not tagging boxes? I am not trying to insult anyboy, but I have not read that in the regs, not that i know it word for word. Surely though the reason for tagging boxes is because the accessorie screw is in contact with it and fixings could inadvertantly come into contact with some structural metal, therefore if the box somehow becomes live then so do the things i mentioned.

I'm with Elecsa and have noticed a lot of previously NIC registered sparks in my local area now displaying Elecsa signs on their vans. I think it comes down to cost more than anything.

As far as I am aware if a metal back box has one fixed lug (which most do) and if it is not a TNC-S system them the back box does not have to have a fly lead...

Hi, i used to be with nic and moved to elecsa not for only the price when i ring elecsa for anything their always helpfull and answer the phone unlike nic elecsa seem to be more for the contractor than just the customer i would recomend elecsa to anyone :)

As far as I am aware if a metal back box has one fixed lug (which most do) and if it is not a TNC-S system them the back box does not have to have a fly lead...

It does not matter what type of earthing system there is.

As you said, providing there is one fixed lug, there is no requirement to earth boxes, although it is good practice.

:)

Thanks for replies. I have been thinking about going with elecsa for some time and after reading forums it seems to be the right choice. I thought it was ÂŁ450 plus Vat with an extra ÂŁ200 if you want to do periodics.
I think the NIC is to expensive and you are paying more for a brand, at the end of the day all i want to do is work it costs enough as it is without feeling like you are forced into wearing the designer label of the electricians world. It cost enough to get qualifications I managed to pay ÂŁ50 for my 2382 cos i found a college that would just let me sit the exam I couldn't find one for my 2391, which i ended up paying ÂŁ550 for 3 days of doing past papers and a diluted version of guidance note 3. I could have done that at home as i did with my 17th.

Elecsa is ÂŁ370 plus Vat if booked online. I thought the NIC one for ÂŁ450 is for kitchen fitters and electricians need to be under the NIC approved contractor thingy majig which is definitely more than ÂŁ450

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

ÂŁ420 for approved contractor but they are now doing full day visits instead of half and are chrging an extra ÂŁ290 for it. :( But the majority of sparks in my area are with nic.

Reply to elecsa v niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock