Discuss Electric heating mat over metal screws? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

The floor boarding has been stuck down with adhesive and screwed down also with extra metal washers.

Someone has now told me it is not a good idea to put an Electrical Heating Mat over it beacuse of the metal screwes and washers.

Can I just take them out? Help

It will then be screeded and tiled.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Electric heating mat over metal screws? 20220610_195417 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220610_195417.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Electric heating mat over metal screws? 20220610_195411 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220610_195411.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 21
The heating mat will say in the instructions what type of floor it can be used on.
Or you could ask them on their technical helpdesk if its possible.

It may need a screed layer first, then your mat... then another screed layer before tiles.

I wouldnt take the screws out myself. But ask whoever laid the floor if they can be.

Above put a thin layer of self leveling latex over then the mat then another thin layer jobs a goodun 😁

It is just fine to do so with the wire type designed for this application. I have done it and it is just fine. Why is not a good idea. The wire does not lay on the metal washers so not a problem. Anyway they are covered by tile cement. Your problem could be the tiler puts the cement on the tile and then lays it instead of over the mat then lay the tiles on that.

Thank you for your reply, when tou say the wire does not lay on the metal washers, what did you mean exactly? The mat will go over the metal washers and it is very likely a wire will be going above a washer.

It is just fine to do so with the wire type designed for this application. I have done it and it is just fine. Why is not a good idea. The wire does not lay on the metal washers so not a problem. Anyway they are covered by tile cement. Your problem could be the tiler puts the cement on the tile and then lays it instead of over the mat then lay the tiles on that.
Thank you for your reply, when you say the wire does not lay on the metal washers, what did you mean exactly? The mat will go over the metal washers and it is very likely a wire will be going above a washer.

Any decent tiler will put a layer of self leveling over the mat before tiling 😁
Yes that is the plan, the electric mat is being stuck to the wedi board, then a layer of self leveling over the matt and then tiled. The issue i have got is i have been told the mat shouldnt be stuck to the wedi board beacuse of the metal washers.

Do yout think the tiler should put a level of self levelling on the wedi board, then stick the mat to that, the add self levelling on top of the mat before tiling?

Yes that is the plan, the electric mat is being stuck to the wedi board, then a layer of self leveling over the matt and then tiled. The issue i have got is i have been told the mat shouldnt be stuck to the wedi board beacuse of the metal washers.

Do yout think the tiler should put a level of self levelling on the wedi board, then stick the mat to that, the add self levelling on top of the mat before tiling?
At the end of the day, if you are concerned, personally I don’t think it a issue but that’s only my opinion, put some insulting material over the screw heads, electricial tape or something similar, or as I said earlier, prime the floor put a thin barrier screed of latex down let that dry prime again then put your mat down and put another layer of latex over the mat, second layer is only to make the tiling easier, personally I bond the boards the the sub floor (normally ply screws at approx 100mm centres) with a flexible tile adhesive and then there’s no screws 😁

Reply to Electric heating mat over metal screws? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock