Currently reading:
Electric shock

Discuss Electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

Hi All, l have been pondering this in my head for absolutely ages and need an answer, if possible, to help me grasp this subject.

I understand that a person receives an electric shock when touching both a live conductor 230V, and an earth/neutral conductor 0V at the same time, because the live conductor is chasing 0V to continue the electrical path.

Now as far as im aware, a high enough current 80-100mA would cause a person's nerves to contract, with them not being able to let go.

Now if a person was to touch a live conductor, with no earth/neutral return path, would that person recieve an electrical shock? The person touches the live conductor of 230V, yet has themself a potential of 0V, so in theory, some electric current should be able to pass between these two points.

WOULD THIS CAUSE THE PERSON TO RECEIVE AN ELECTRIC SHOCK, AND 'THROW THEM OFF' AS THERE IS NO EARTH/NEUTRAL RETURN PATH?

ALSO WITH THE SAME PRINCIPLE, WHY DOES ELECTRIC SEPARATION PROTECT A PERSON WHEN THE LIVE CONDUCTOR IS 230V, YET THE PERSON IS 0V?

All feedback welcome ppl.. .:cool:

Wouldn't fancy trying that one out on a 45 amp 3036
No, me neither. Presumably in an 'extra conductive location' you would need a faster operating protective device, and probably a lower voltage.
I'm not sure what the point of an 'extra conductive location' would be apart from to demonstrate a point, which is probably why they're so rare.

Reply to Electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock