Discuss Electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DC makes you freeze like in the old films. AC alternates the current and the wave of alternation is what throws you off if it passes through your body. Probably why that type of current is used in a house etc.

If you touch the live conductor and get a belt it does not have to travel to earth via finger to foot. why because it can pass through part of your body. eg. up one finger down another or up one arm across your chest back to neutral at the ceiling rose/ cpc/ earthed/extraneous conductive par. think of the Megger tester safety test button to keep one arm away from the hazzard / danger.

basic stuff??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx, everyone,

I must say im well chuffed with the response. I have learned so much about electric shock, merely by asking these questions and receiving advice from the experienced.

I will continue to monitor this topic, incase of any more feedback.

Many Thanks from JABBAJAWS...

DC makes you freeze like in the old films. AC alternates the current and the wave of alternation is what throws you off if it passes through your body. Probably why that type of current is used in a house etc.

AC is widely used because of the ease with which it can be transformed from one voltage to another, so that it can be transmitted at very high voltages and small currents with consequent smaller power losses. It can then be stepped down easily to safer voltages for other uses, eg domestic etc.

AC is widely used because of the ease with which it can be transformed from one voltage to another, so that it can be transmitted at very high voltages and small currents with consequent smaller power losses. It can then be stepped down easily to safer voltages for other uses, eg domestic etc.

Not so basic stuff:D

Your current is a bit off:
5 - 10 mA would throw you off with a painful sensation,
10 - 15 mA would cause your muscles to contract and you can't let go,
20 - 30 mA would impair your breathing and
50 mA would cause ventricular fibrillation and death.

This is why RCD's have a 30mA rating.

If there is no return path then there would be no current flow so the person wouldn't get an electric shock.

You can see this using a light bulb connected to the positive with a switch later in the circuit. While the switch is open (no return path) no current will flow and the bulb will not light. If the switch is closed (a return path) current will flow and the bulb will light.

20 odd years in the trade nd this subject still fascinates me and i can never conclusively answer it when asked!!

what confuses me even further is if 30ma rcds were inented to protct against ultimately,death,then why were 100 ma rcds ever fitted in domestic properties?? far too many questions!!

Last edited by a moderator:
20 odd years in the trade nd this subject still fascinates me and i can never conclusively answer it when asked!!

what confuses me even further is if 30ma rcds were inented to protct against ultimately,death,then why were 100 ma rcds ever fitted in domestic properties?? far too many questions!!

Or 300ma or 500ma or Rising rate or time delayed.

Larger rcds will help prevent the risk of fire through earth faults and time delayed ones allow discrimination when two are in series( I think, but happy to be corrected)

Reply to Electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net