Currently reading:
Electric shock

Discuss Electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

Hi All, l have been pondering this in my head for absolutely ages and need an answer, if possible, to help me grasp this subject.

I understand that a person receives an electric shock when touching both a live conductor 230V, and an earth/neutral conductor 0V at the same time, because the live conductor is chasing 0V to continue the electrical path.

Now as far as im aware, a high enough current 80-100mA would cause a person's nerves to contract, with them not being able to let go.

Now if a person was to touch a live conductor, with no earth/neutral return path, would that person recieve an electrical shock? The person touches the live conductor of 230V, yet has themself a potential of 0V, so in theory, some electric current should be able to pass between these two points.

WOULD THIS CAUSE THE PERSON TO RECEIVE AN ELECTRIC SHOCK, AND 'THROW THEM OFF' AS THERE IS NO EARTH/NEUTRAL RETURN PATH?

ALSO WITH THE SAME PRINCIPLE, WHY DOES ELECTRIC SEPARATION PROTECT A PERSON WHEN THE LIVE CONDUCTOR IS 230V, YET THE PERSON IS 0V?

All feedback welcome ppl.. .:cool:

DC makes you freeze like in the old films. AC alternates the current and the wave of alternation is what throws you off if it passes through your body. Probably why that type of current is used in a house etc.

If you touch the live conductor and get a belt it does not have to travel to earth via finger to foot. why because it can pass through part of your body. eg. up one finger down another or up one arm across your chest back to neutral at the ceiling rose/ cpc/ earthed/extraneous conductive par. think of the Megger tester safety test button to keep one arm away from the hazzard / danger.

basic stuff??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx, everyone,

I must say im well chuffed with the response. I have learned so much about electric shock, merely by asking these questions and receiving advice from the experienced.

I will continue to monitor this topic, incase of any more feedback.

Many Thanks from JABBAJAWS...

DC makes you freeze like in the old films. AC alternates the current and the wave of alternation is what throws you off if it passes through your body. Probably why that type of current is used in a house etc.

AC is widely used because of the ease with which it can be transformed from one voltage to another, so that it can be transmitted at very high voltages and small currents with consequent smaller power losses. It can then be stepped down easily to safer voltages for other uses, eg domestic etc.

Your current is a bit off:
5 - 10 mA would throw you off with a painful sensation,
10 - 15 mA would cause your muscles to contract and you can't let go,
20 - 30 mA would impair your breathing and
50 mA would cause ventricular fibrillation and death.

This is why RCD's have a 30mA rating.

If there is no return path then there would be no current flow so the person wouldn't get an electric shock.

You can see this using a light bulb connected to the positive with a switch later in the circuit. While the switch is open (no return path) no current will flow and the bulb will not light. If the switch is closed (a return path) current will flow and the bulb will light.

20 odd years in the trade nd this subject still fascinates me and i can never conclusively answer it when asked!!

what confuses me even further is if 30ma rcds were inented to protct against ultimately,death,then why were 100 ma rcds ever fitted in domestic properties?? far too many questions!!

20 odd years in the trade nd this subject still fascinates me and i can never conclusively answer it when asked!!

what confuses me even further is if 30ma rcds were inented to protct against ultimately,death,then why were 100 ma rcds ever fitted in domestic properties?? far too many questions!!

Or 300ma or 500ma or Rising rate or time delayed.

Larger rcds will help prevent the risk of fire through earth faults and time delayed ones allow discrimination when two are in series( I think, but happy to be corrected)

alot of theories getting branded about here...... please nobody try standing on a wooden staircase and touch a live cable, trust me you get a shock! i don't think you could put enough rubber mats between you and the floor to stop it either.

Interesting thread.
I've experienced plenty of electric shocks, most of the them, by touching a live wire, whilst standing on a carpet on a wooden floor, with trainers on. Always baffled me a bit.
Like exarmy said, I cant imagine anyone here would fancy standing on a rubber mat then touching a live buzzbar with a wet finger.

Remember on a TT system we use 'the general mass of earth' (ie soil) as a return path. Soil isn't the best conductor hence why we use copper in cables and not soil, but it isn't the best insulator either, and when you add together the total mass (ie parallel paths) then you get a reasonable conductor.
Same with a house - you wouldn't use wooden cables because wood isn't renowned as a good conductor, but the whole floor, walls, plumbing etc of the house added together gives a significant return path.

If houses had earthed copper floors and you were standing on the floor with wet feet when you came into contact with a live part you may not get such a bad shock either because the protective device would operate before you noticed it, depending on the route the electricity takes through your body.

Remember on a TT system we use 'the general mass of earth' (ie soil) as a return path. Soil isn't the best conductor hence why we use copper in cables and not soil, but it isn't the best insulator either, and when you add together the total mass (ie parallel paths) then you get a reasonable conductor.
Same with a house - you wouldn't use wooden cables because wood isn't renowned as a good conductor, but the whole floor, walls, plumbing etc of the house added together gives a significant return path.

If houses had earthed copper floors and you were standing on the floor with wet feet when you came into contact with a live part you may not get such a bad shock either because the protective device would operate before you noticed it, depending on the route the electricity takes through your body.

Wouldn't fancy trying that one out on a 45 amp 3036

In the days of bus bar distribution for electrical supplies, it was common practice to have to drill the solid bars when all the provided holes had been filled. 9 times out of 10 these bars were drilled while still live, due to factory production etc!! I bet the HSE would have a pink fit and probably die in it, just thinking about it these days ...lol!!

Yes there was a procedure to be followed (of sorts), use of un-earthed drills, shortened drill bits, rubber mat(s), plastic swarf, collector, small rubber sheets wrapped around bars above and/or below, rubber gloves and full face/eye protection, ...and a guy with a big plank of wood standing by!! ...lol!! Still an apprentice the first time i had to do this and a second apprentice then made the connections...

I have no idea how anyone standing on bare wood, rubber mat, with rubber soled shoes can possibly get a belt from touching a 230/240 volt conductor, ...so where is the return path??

In the days of bus bar distribution for electrical supplies, it was common practice to have to drill the solid bars when all the provided holes had been filled. 9 times out of 10 these bars were drilled while still live, due to factory production etc!! I bet the HSE would have a pink fit and probably die in it, just thinking about it these days ...lol!!

Yes there was a procedure to be followed (of sorts), use of un-earthed drills, shortened drill bits, rubber mat(s), plastic swarf, collector, small rubber sheets wrapped around bars above and/or below, rubber gloves and full face/eye protection, ...and a guy with a big plank of wood standing by!! ...lol!! Still an apprentice the first time i had to do this and a second apprentice then made the connections...

I have no idea how anyone standing on bare wood, rubber mat, with rubber soled shoes can possibly get a belt from touching a 230/240 volt conductor, ...so where is the return path??

It was much more fun If you didn't use swarf collectors.

I was that apprentice holding the plank of wood, when all of a sudden it was like bonfire night because of a wayward bit of swarf.

Those were the days.

EDIT:

Oh and I think the Sparks was more afraid I was going to crack him over the head than he was of a shorting piece of swarf!

I use supposedly insulated steps they are all fibre glass with rubber feet and Ali treads, apparantly these are what electricians should use, not least I guess because Aluminimum is an excellent conductor, and you wouldn't want to swinging them around where potentially Live conductors might be.

Also can someone answer this question please.

We all know how an RCD works, and the human body can be treated as a large resistor, much like TF in a bulb, soooo..if I held the N and the L and was isolated form E would an RCD trip ? or would it just see me as an appliance ?
J

I use supposedly insulated steps they are all fibre glass with rubber feet and Ali treads, apparantly these are what electricians should use, not least I guess because Aluminimum is an excellent conductor, and you wouldn't want to swinging them around where potentially Live conductors might be.

Also can someone answer this question please.

We all know how an RCD works, and the human body can be treated as a large resistor, much like TF in a bulb, soooo..if I held the N and the L and was isolated form E would an RCD trip ? or would it just see me as an appliance ?
J

Yep it should just see you as a not very clever appliance with a bit of a death wish ;)

J

You'd be dead in the blink of an eye. Live in left hand , neutral in right hand , circuit would be completed round about where your heart is lol. ;-)

Reply to Electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock