Discuss I got an electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, changed a bathroom extractor fan. Easy enough.

I was dealing with a grey, black, brown and earth wire.

When i tested the black wire, which i believe is neutral, with a electrical tester screwdriver which i poked into the connection I got a electric shock.

Weird. as soon as i touched the metal shower frame i got a shock. Not sure why. Can someone please explain. The earth was live too and not connected.

Black WAS neutral, but after the colour changes circa 2005, black is now line conductor.
Grey is most likely the neutral.

Make a note of how the old fan was connected before removal.

If you got a shock from the metal shower frame.

there is only one piece of advice I can give you, please follow it to the letter before someone dies.

1. TURN OFF THE SUPPLY TO THE BUILDING, It will be a red switch and should be marked "Main Switch" or similar

2. CALL IN AN ELECTRICIAN THAT IS REGISTERED FOR DOMESTIC WORK

3. DO NOT TURN ON THE POWER UNTIL THEY (Qualified Electrician) HAVE DEEMED IT SAFE

p.s. about the above post.
I realise it was only a short and to the point post and you might think I am trying to scare you into spending some money or that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.

however, the risk of death from electrocution is raised by a huge amount when bare skin and water get involved.
the fact you survived your electric shock from the shower may well be a combination of wearing clothing, footwear, and luck.
someone covered in water and trying to grab hold of anything to stop them falling is likely to be FATAL.

you said you got a shock but did not mention that any protective device had tripped makes me even more concerned that there may not be adequate protection against shock in a bathroom.
I am not scare mongering, PLEASE GET IT SORTED BEFORE you are in court for manslaughter or something similar.

When i tested the black wire, which i believe is neutral, with a electrical tester screwdriver which i poked into the connection I got a electric shock.

Weird. as soon as i touched the metal shower frame i got a shock. Not sure why. Can someone please explain. The earth was live too and not connected.
Were you holding onto the shower frame and touching the black wire terminal at the same time?

If you intend to do any more electrical work then I would advise in getting a two pole voltage tester and a proving unit. Then ensure you know the correct safe isolation procedure.

Definitely better to be safe than sorry as this incident proves.

How bad was the shock? You may need to consider seeking medical advice - some shocks can cause heart problems which aren't initially apparent.

Is this the same fan you were asking about in your other thread back in January?

Well at least the fan worked so it was all worth it in the end. Don’t know why people bother with college for all this easy stuff, all you need is a neon screwdriver and a strong heart.

UPDATE
Thanks for the replies folks.
I called a competent electrician (Napit) and the following was revealed/fixed:

Bathroom light switch had No earthing. All 4 earthing wires had been cut back. Therefore, I received a static shock rather than an electric shock (thank god). At the time I was holding the tester against the black wire (connected to the fan) and touched the metal shower screen.

The fan wire was not connected to the bathroom light switch. It was snipped and dangling behind the light switch.

The isolator switch had 2 earth wires with no sleeves which had been twisted into one another.

Shocking.

All sorted and working fine.

Thanks for the update.

We were beginning to think you had some serious problems with a live shower screen frame…

You might want to get your electrician there to check the rest of the property… not having connected earths does not bode well for the rest of the house

Thanks for the update.

We were beginning to think you had some serious problems with a live shower screen frame…

You might want to get your electrician there to check the rest of the property… not having connected earths does not bode well for the rest of the house
Your not gonna believe this. Last year or was it early this year .. i got a 5 year Eicr certificate for the same premises. How on earth did they miss that poor wiring. If I report them they could get taken off the register.

The electrical screw drivers testers should be outlawed. I agree with all the replies and throw your tester in the trash, they are dangerous.

Reply to I got an electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net