Discuss Electric Towel Rail and regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

vaderag

DIY
Reaction score
We're having an electric towel rail installed in bathroom, outside any zones

It's just above the stairs with a clear wiring run to under the stairs which we've been using as an access void for various pipes/gas runs etc
Electrician is telling me there are regs around where the spur needs to be and need spur directly outside the room rather than in the understairs void.

I've been advised elsewhere that this isn't the case and we can happily have
- Plate for the wire in the bathroom
- running through wall to under the stairs for the switched spur so long as it's clearly labelled

Electrician is saying he wont sign it off if we do it that way, but a friend who is an electrician is saying it's not true..

Can anyone point me to the regs in question so I can show my builders contractor and advise?

Thanks

NB. I'm in the UK, not sure why it's showing an irish flag next to my name!

nothing wrong with fitting a FCU next to the towel rail in the bathroom. RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom is required.

We're having an electric towel rail installed in bathroom, outside any zones

It's just above the stairs with a clear wiring run to under the stairs which we've been using as an access void for various pipes/gas runs etc
Electrician is telling me there are regs around where the spur needs to be and need spur directly outside the room rather than in the understairs void.

I've been advised elsewhere that this isn't the case and we can happily have
- Plate for the wire in the bathroom
- running through wall to under the stairs for the switched spur so long as it's clearly labelled

Electrician is saying he wont sign it off if we do it that way, but a friend who is an electrician is saying it's not true..

Can anyone point me to the regs in question so I can show my builders contractor and advise?

Thanks

Not sure of the exact Regulation offhand, Mate, But if I'm reading your post correctly you seem to want the spur out of sight under the stairs, is that correct? it would make safe isolation and functional switching a bit difficult, may be that's the reason for his reluctance to sign off on the work, the only reference P can thimk pf after a quick glance at the Regs' is 537.5 "functional switching" sorry but that's all I can see, but it would make sense to have the FCU as close as possible to the heater.

there is no regulation prohibiting a FCU in a bathroom ( certain regs. apply if within zones). you can even fit a socket outlet as long as it's >3m from bath.

there is no regulation prohibiting a FCU in a bathroom ( certain regs. apply if within zones). you can even fit a socket outlet as long as it's >3m from bath.

If I understand the OP correctly, installing the FCU in the bathroom isn't the issue.

He wants it installing in the utility cupboard under the stairs.

Can't think of a reason this would be an issue at all. Only like fitting an FCU for an extractor fan in the loft.

as long as it's accessible, OP can have it wherever he wants.

normally to put a heated towel rail in a bathroom then the towel rail flex would go in a flex out let and from there the fuse would be out side the bath room, the end .
[automerge]1567598280[/automerge]
my base is the universe so me flags is this Electric Towel Rail and regulations 1567598269432 - EletriciansForums.net lol.

Last edited:
I can't seem to post a detailed response here... getting spammed
[automerge]1567601111[/automerge]
Original plan seems okay
[automerge]1567601142[/automerge]
I'd even live with a switched spur only if i could, but electrician is digging in heels

Last edited:
Original plan seems okay
I'd even live with a switched spur only if i could, but electrician is digging in heels
Get another one

Original plan seems okay
Post a few more responses just short one liners and it should clear the spam check.

This is where I'm at right now - i've asked him exactly if he can tell me why and what reg.

I think tbh he just doesnt want to do it...
If you think that then it's time to employ someone else

Well, funnily enough, the electrician just quit the job this morning...
Hopefully the next person in will be open to rational conversation!

obviously the spark who's quit is a southern -----. you need a hard -as -nails northern sparks to do it right.

Reply to Electric Towel Rail and regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock