Discuss Electrical surge on caravan site in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, not sure if this is allowed but here goes,
I was recently staying on a caravan park along with many others, (touring caravan not static) on the morning of June 8
The shower block and laundrette on site adjacent to our caravans lost its electrics, when the site fixed it 7 caravans received a power surge which blew all our electrical equipment inside our vans, we lost TVs microwaves fridges caravan battery’s basically anything plugged into their electric supply. They are taking no liability and say we should go through our own insurance, they have their electricians that visited site and said everything was ok but will not pass us there information. I’ve also been on to the main electric company that covers that area and they say they had no malfunctions at all that day. Can any one shed and light on our next questions or enlighten us to what could have caused it. We feel that anything that was were fault they would have now rectified with their own electricians
Thank you

This is why you should have insurance.

You talk to your insurance company. Your insurance company talks to their insurance company. Any payouts are sorted between them.

The owner of the site won’t just give you money as payout.

Any caravan park should have a license from local authority…. You could speak to them if you believe there was a safety issue.

Hello, not sure if this is allowed but here goes,
I was recently staying on a caravan park along with many others, (touring caravan not static) on the morning of June 8
The shower block and laundrette on site adjacent to our caravans lost its electrics, when the site fixed it 7 caravans received a power surge which blew all our electrical equipment inside our vans, we lost TVs microwaves fridges caravan battery’s basically anything plugged into their electric supply. They are taking no liability and say we should go through our own insurance, they have their electricians that visited site and said everything was ok but will not pass us there information. I’ve also been on to the main electric company that covers that area and they say they had no malfunctions at all that day. Can any one shed and light on our next questions or enlighten us to what could have caused it. We feel that anything that was were fault they would have now rectified with their own electricians
Thank you
Cant see how it would destroy batteries to be honest.

I assume all the washers and driers died ?

Last edited:
Cant see how it would destroy batteries to be honest.

I assume all the washers and driers died ?
Caravan leisure battery’s running all the 12v lighting would be on charger at the time.
An over voltage on the 230v mains might have damaged the charger, and in turn the battery.

Caravan leisure battery’s running all the 12v lighting would be on charger at the time.
An over voltage on the 230v mains might have damaged the charger, and in turn the battery.
The surge would have been for a very short time, it may very well have damaged the power unit, but i can't see how it could have damaged the battery.

Most caravans would have a Power Supply to give 12 volts dc. This is capable of running the 12 volts system on its own or in conjunction with a leisure battery he may think the battery etc is faulty because it's not now being charged ? or his PSU is dead.

Last edited:
Possibly the battery is ok… and it’s the charger that’s fried….

What’s happened is obviously down to a sudden overvoltage, but whether it’s down to an avoidable fault or “act of god” is key as to who is at fault and who is liable.

When I worked on a caravan site, we had a customer in a tourer that moaned about water damage.
It had rained heavily, and the run off was going under their awning… but they had brought everything but the kitchen sink with them… (actually, I think the sink was there) and they didn’t think to lift all the electrical leads and other things off the ground.

Reply to Electrical surge on caravan site in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net