Discuss Electrician won’t give certificates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

At my wits end so I hope someone can offer some advice. Basically, over the past year I have been doing up my house and involved the help of an electrician who came excellently reviewed on multiple platforms, he won the job cause I liked him and he seemed like a decent guy (not even the cheapest) he firstly did alterations to the ring and lighting circuits, and provided the certificates with no serious drama but a reasonable amount of chasing; although I was not overly impressed with the quality but I simply couldn’t be bothered with the agro . A few months later I asked him to install a supply for a new cooker and hob, did the works etc and said he would do the certificate later on.

A couple of months after this I chased him and he said he had lost the Zs, Ir values etc as he had moved from Stroma to Niceic fair enough. These past two months I have been asking him to come round or chase Stroma for the values ( I don’t think he ever tested them as he was in such a rush to get off). So after tens of texts I finally agreed a date for him to come round early morning 8am. I get up ready, no sign of him. Give him a call so sorry mate slept in, I’ll be round at 12 latest. Then I get a text sorry going to have to cancel, can we do tonight, arrange a time and no show again this time without a text or call.

Sorry for the long message but I don’t really know where to turn other than leaving a terrible review which will be pointless as He will defiantly not come round. he did the work when under Stroma so I’m not sure niceic will be interested. I’m a electrical consultant within construction so maybe I’ll do a five week wonder course next time, I’m sure it’ll be less stress

Any advice is appreciated

Don’t even bother with this time waster , just move on.

I hear stories like this at least 20 times a year if not more it’s sparks like this who give the rest a terrible name

I must admit that I'm somewhat confused. On one hand you claim that you were unhappy with the work, but nonetheless you ordered further works.
Sorry just re-read my post, I asked him to install the Supplies for the oven and hob in the original quote but leave the cables hanging out the wall until the final kitchen positions were sorted, and then come back to do terminations and give certificates for the two new circuits. So the cables were in essentially, was trying not to confuse the original post too much

Don’t even bother with this time waster , just move on.

I hear stories like this at least 20 times a year if not more it’s sparks like this who give the rest a terrible name
I know, but the issue is I’m selling my house in a couple of months so could really do with them for the solicitors

It won’t hold the house sale up. All that is needed is a cheap indemnity policy for missing certs via your solicitor.
Missing gasafe cert or electrical cert usually costs about £75 ball park from my experience.

Or just don’t tell them about the ‘new circuits’ but I never said that ok

It won’t hold the house sale up. All that is needed is a cheap indemnity policy for missing certs via your solicitor.
Missing gasafe cert or electrical cert usually costs about £75 ball park from my experience.

Or just don’t tell them about the ‘new circuits’ but I never said that ok

Dusty,

That’s some great advice as this is my first house sale. I think that’s probably the best route along with a poor review

Thanks

I have contacted the niceic personally for customers regarding missing certs from previous electricians and they dint want to know.
I can imagine the same will apply to all scams.
They just kept telling me to get the home owner to chase up the original electrician.
Yeah great advice when he doesn’t answer his phone or reply to any texts or emails...
After about 3 months most home owners just give up trying in the end...

I’ve done the rest of the house myself other than the plastering, wanted to be tip top on the electrical front as I thought it would case more of a problem selling with part p etc but as you stated earlier there seems to be a quick fix

@Fiftyhertz and @Dustydazzler

The schemes do not have, hold or ever see an installation certificate. The only person who has this is the electrician. Do anything about changing schemes is hogwash.

What the scheme should have is a digital record of notifiable work that their member electrician has (if he has) notified them about. The scheme will have sent a (digital) notification of this to the LABC concerned, and a paper Certificate of Completion to you.

I’ve done the rest of the house myself other than the plastering, wanted to be tip top on the electrical front as I thought it would case more of a problem selling with part p etc
Doesn't quite stack up for me. You are an Electrical Consultant working in the Construction industry, want a Rolls Royce (tip top) job yet leave it to someone you don't know but have reviewed on checkatrader (or the like) whilst you do the rest of the house (except the plastering) yourself!
You could have done the electrics yourself, got your rolls Royce job and still got the local authority in to provide a part p certificate (albeit at a little extra cost), and left the 'rest' (carpentry/plumbing etc) to the experts in their field!

Indemnity insurance is to protect the buyer from any potential legal costs from defects or the LBC taking legal action because of unapproved works. It does not cover the rectification of defects.

A potential buyer may be put off from missing documentation, and/or the sale price of would need to reflect that. A friend purchased a property, where work had been done without Building Reg approval. They purchased an indemnity insurance; they have been beset with problems since. They now know why the builder didn't seek approval.

@Fiftyhertz, if your intension is to sell this property in due course, you'll need to address this issue of missing certificates & compliance documentation (if applicable). Either keep pushing the original electrician, or speak to your conveyancing solicitor, an EICR might be an option. Or approach your LBC, and ask for a Regularisation Certificate. My LBC current fee for one of those is £400+vat.

I have just bought & sold a property. You sign a legal document, which amongst other things, ask if you've had any electrical work carried out since 2005, and also ask you to provided copies of electrical certificates & compliance docs. I've had 3 or 4 request in the last year for duplicate certificates, all for house sales.

@MDJ would usually completely agree, but in this case I’ve paid him the day he invoices every time and all I want is for him to come for the final test and I’ve been chasing for months. Just taking the p*ss

Reply to Electrician won’t give certificates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock