Discuss Electricity to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise me what it takes to have an electricity main run to my garage and who I should approach?

I own a garage in a complex of garages and would like electricity to be run to it, but my property is no where near to the garage, so I cannot take a feed from anywhere.

So I am after information of if it is possible to get an electric main run to an individua garage from scratch and who I should approach etc?

Thanks in advance

You could try your local electricity supply company, they may treat it as a new supply connection, complete with meter. Depends on what needs you have, you may consider a generator or even lug a few leisure batteries for simple lighting and the odd power tool using a small invertor.

You could try your local electricity supply company, they may treat it as a new supply connection, complete with meter. Depends on what needs you have, you may consider a generator or even lug a few leisure batteries for simple lighting and the odd power tool using a small invertor.
Thank you, I want to have sockets and lighting installed, so would want a permanent feed, not batteried or generators.

And this is the part where I will sound very thick, but for the local energy supply comapny, will that be a supplier that covers the whole area from the national grid?

Do you own the garage and you will need the permission of the landowner who'es land you are digging up to get the cable to the garage a new supply won't be cheap.

OK, go online to Install a New Electricity Supply | UK Power Networks - https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/new-connection

Have a good look around for competitive options for the supply and another company for the meter and billing. You could just contact your existng provider for your house and ask them for a new connection and combine the two supplies onto one bill.
That's great, thank you for your help

When I did new housing developments if the detached garage was not part of the plot it was not allowed to have power run to it due to the council adopting the road etc.
[automerge]1569063087[/automerge]
Rethinking my last reply whilst it may be not permissible to have private supplies and services, public supplies and utilities would be allowed. Permission would have to be given and the ground would have to be reinstated to a given standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Electricity to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock