Discuss EM lights M and NM in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

crabapple

my understanding

Emergency lights come in 2 general varieties, maintained and nm

their functions;
1 u have directional ones directing ppl (green running man)
2 anti panic ones to illuminate spaces
3 high risk task area one

at least 1 lux along directed routes

finally maintained ones on the final exit

questions

i wire the above 3 in TE with a key switch

but how are the final exit maintined ones to be wired - im using 3 core

how are the maintained ones to work??
do they always be on??
are they switched
do they have to be on both sides of the exit?

also the documentation that asks for records of weekly, monthly and six month checks needs filling
do i need any other documenttion for thee?

Maintained, non-maintained and switched non-maintained.

M and NM can be wired in 2 core, M will remain illuminated at all times regardless if powered or not (up to 3 hours) where as NM will only illuminate in cases of power failure.

You can buy a switched NM, this can be used as a normal light but will also illuminate in case of power failure. For this type you will need 3-core, L-N + Sw.

Hope this helps

Ponty !

also the documentation that asks for records of weekly, monthly and six month checks needs filling
do i need any other documenttion for thee?

I normally do monthly check, power off an a quick once round. 6 monthly check, power down for 3 hours, clean out lense, replace lamps etc.

do they have to be on both sides of the exit?

"The safety of occupants must be protected until they are away from the influence of the building. If the area outside the building has hazards in darkness such as a river bank the risk assessment should determine if further emergency luminaires are needed till a place of safety can be reached.
If street lighting is available and adequate it may be used with the agreement of the fire authority."

Most fire authorities require an EM on the outside of a final exit door. You may be able to convert and existing outside lamp to provide this facility.

Are you sure that you are competent to do this work? Emergency lighting is not just about the exit door, there are a lot of other places where it may be necessary.

Take a good long look at these two documents
http://www.icel.co.uk//media//technical/5 -CEL 1006 Emergency Lighting Design Guide 3-3-09.pdf
http://www.icel.co.uk//media//technical/6 - ICEL 1008 Risk Assessment Guide 3-9-09.pdf

Are you sure that you are competent to do this work? Emergency lighting is not just about the exit door, there are a lot of other places where it may be necessary.

Take a good long look at these two documents
http://www.icel.co.uk//media//technical/5%20-CEL%201006%20%20Emergency%20Lighting%20Design%20Guide%203-3-09.pdf
http://www.icel.co.uk//media//technical/6 - ICEL 1008 Risk Assessment Guide 3-9-09.pdf[/QUOTE]

job description;

flats on 2nd floor
each has a nm above the front door inside
outside flat there are directional ones and open area illumination ones interspersed.
the stairwell is perpendicular to corridor so above is a green nm pointing down
above stairs there is a cupboard of the flat that cuts into space above stairs but i have a clear one to illuminate all stairs nm
on reaching bottom(1stfloor) there is a directional one to direct into lobby
another directional one directs to 2nd stair
above stairs is a green directioal one pointing down
a half landing is reached where there is another directioal one
at bottom (ground floor) is final exit (m. em. l.)

1st floor is a hall

it has open area nm aprox every 5m radius(rsj cut ceiling into 4)
it has 2 exits both have directional

one of the exits is mentioned above, but will be primarily for flat occupants
the other on exiting comes to stairs (3 steps) above which is a directioal nm to illuminate stairs and direct. the landing does a 180 and stairs contue down to ground above which is a nm directioal emergency. on ground floor is a final M exit

ground floor is like the hall above exit is clear, have open area nm interpersed with normal lights

there is a kitchen that has em lights as it is a high risk task area and have nm and open area nm. it joins to the ground hall but has is own M exit

i have down the work and want my own certainty and peace of mnd before any or regulations

ive reffered to the EM Light OSG

but still unsure about final exits

if a em light comes off a lighting cct it has a key switch in between
but if they are all wired together they have a key switch by the cu ( where i put it)

Q

where in the cu do u put this cct on a high integrity board??

Final exit signs or change of direction signs signs are generally to be illuminated at all times, a key switched feed , N and earth are all thats needed on a maintained fitting

Reply to EM lights M and NM in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock