Discuss EMF dangers - advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My flat has high levels of EMF, Electromagnetic Field from floor wiring / Electric Field from ceiling wiring. It is often is above safe levels for continued exposure. Two years ago I had 2 incidents when EMF was so strong it made my entire body shake visibly - I had to run to get out of the flat.
I would like to know;
1) what could have been the cause of these two incidents?
2) what are the physical consequences of remaining in this situation for a sustained length of time when said incidents are occurring?
3) since the problem remains, what is the probability that these incidents could happen again - am I correct to be scared?

How are you measuring this emf?

How do you know it was an electrical field that caused your body to shake? Does this affect anyone else, eg visitors to your property?

A field of such high strength would cause other issues also.

To put your mind at rest you could get an electrician in to check your installation. I would be tempted initially to not mention the reason for the request.

As above, what device are you using to measure emf?

I am not sure what the safe limits are but I expect they will be different for different frequency’s.
If you could post a link to the safe levels it would be helpful.

Also, do you have WiFi, mobile or portable phones, a microwave?
If so, it would be good to repeat your tests with these items unplugged.

Good point about different frequencies. What frequency is your test equipment showing? If it's in the RF range, are you near to any radio transmitters?

It would require an astonishingly high EMF field to cause a sensation as you have described, so most electricians would be sceptical of that explanation. However you clearly are concerned and have experienced something that is worrying so it should not be ignored.

While an EMF field large enough to cause sensation is unlikely, a touch current from a fault causing an unpleasant (and downright dangerous) sensation is quite likely from a faulty electrical appliance or wiring installation. So as already said, you should get someone in to check for those sort of issues.

Is your flat rented? If so has it had any tests recently such as an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) and/or have plug-in appliances (such as stand lights, etc) been tested (PAT = Potable Appliance Testing).

For PAT testing the gov site has more background:

If nothing is found to explain it electrically you ought to see your GP as there may be a medical explanation for the symptoms you describe, or it may also a psychological effect triggered by stress, etc. These are things that should be taken seriously as well.

Wiring errors are the greatest cause of elevated EMFs. Have an electrician look for standing neutral to earth faults, crossed circuits, broken ring mains, damaged mains neutral, ect. Unplug Wifi and other devices when not in use.

There is also the possibility your physical symptoms could be from causes outside of elevated EMFs.

As others have mentioned, how are you reading these EMFs? Do have a number at the time when the shaking started?

Wiring errors are the greatest cause of elevated EMFs. Have an electrician look for standing neutral to earth faults, crossed circuits, broken ring mains, damaged mains neutral, ect. Unplug Wifi and other devices when not in use.

There is also the possibility your physical symptoms could be from causes outside of elevated EMFs.

As others have mentioned, how are you reading these EMFs? Do have a number at the time when the shaking started?
I have on my property a tower with 220,000 volts running through it and it is 90 feet from my house and I have often wondered could it harm me or my family but it’s been 22 years and as far as I can tell no problems

While there is a lot of conspiracy-nutters on the internet, this site has various bits of info on the limits, largely UK based, but that has its policy (so far) closely aligned with the EU:

An electric field exceeding 9 kV/m would be all but impossible in a typical flat, but a magnetic field exceeding 360 µT could be caused by the sort of faults that Cookie mentioned. This is still a low magnetic field, for comparison the Earth's static field that a compass responds to in the UK is around 50 µT.

Last edited:
While there is a lot of conspiracy-nutters on the internet, this site has various bits of info on the limits, largely UK based, but that has its policy (so far) closely aligned with the EU:

An electric field exceeding 9 kV/m would be all but impossible in a typical flat, but a magnetic field exceeding 360 µT could be caused by the sort of faults that Cookie mentioned. This is still a low magnetic field, for comparison the Earth's static field that a compass responds to in the UK is around 50 µT.

To add, the earth's field isn't rising and collapsing 50/60 times a second. Natural EMFs our bodies have evolved around- AC power is a relatively new thing.

I would accept the fact that some people are extraordinarily sensitive to EMF. You may be one of them. I assume you are using a hand held device that measures and goes red when a high EMF is present. Anyway I was thinking it may just be that you have something wrong with you such as a heart problem, and your sensitivity to EMF may trigger a sub-clinical condition. Now, I just want to make clear that I am not saying it is in your head and belittling what you are asking about. I am aware at the moment there are drugs that have been given to women, and the mesh problem for women, who when complaining of pains etc. are dismissed as hysteria. I don't want to sound like that! Have you had any check up of late. Did you discuss the shaking at all with your GP?

Many thanks to all who responded.
Additional info as requested;
  • I used an EMF Tester metre by Meterk, measures Electromagnetic and Electric Field
  • 2 other people had physical sensations inside flat. I am almost certainly EMF Hypersensitive
  • other physical issues I have include; insomnia, headaches, heart palpitations, body vibrations, head feeling heavy/going numb
  • Flat was EICR tested - no issues. Electrician had no knowledge of EMF. BUT readings occur when electricity in flat is off at circuit board, come from ceiling and floor, indicating the buildings main wiring (conclusion of EMF contractor)
  • Had independent EMF contractor do survey, showing high EMg and EF readings
  • 2 years ago was within 500m of 3 RF transmitters, 1 started operating around that time
  • Had medical checks for blood, heart. Had Hyperthyroidism 2 years ago - palpitations a symptom. However, this never occurred out of flat, except near to some electrical equipment (wi-fi, refrigerators, some computers). Not had it for 1 year but palpitations still occur. Heart checked recently - ok but anomalies found when close to some electrical equipment - and at home when not close to electrical equipment.
  • Worked with Special Needs children and young adults for 20 years (inc behavioural difficulties and ASD, stress levels probably lower than normal!
  • When incidents happened 2 years ago; 1st occurred when got home from work about 6.30 pm, 2nd on Saturday around 3.00pm
  • To Megawatt; I don't believe RF or other outside EMF is a major factor for me, although I sometimes feel it. I believe that most people do not feel EMF, but it may still affect them. Best to be safe and check it. Not sure what type of metre you need - most EMF metres are calibrated for domestic situations, but may pick up outside frequencies.
  • Have attached EMF detailed guideline levels below from EM Watch.

Magnetic Field Measurements and Survey Results At EM Watch, we categorise low-frequency magnetic fields in terms of their potential to cause health effects:
0 – 1 mG Negligible risk
1 – 2 mG Low risk
2 – 5 mG Moderate risk
Over 5mG High risk

Electric Field Measurements and Survey Results At EM Watch, we categorise low-frequency electric fields in terms of their potential to cause health effects:
0 - 2 V/m Negligible risk
2 - 10 V/M Low risk
10 - 25 V/m Moderate risk
Over 25 V/m High risk

The ICNIRP ‘reference levels’ for the public are:
100 microteslas for magnetic fields
5000 volts per metre for electric field

As you can see, safe levels vary, and there is NO legal UK set limits, only guidelines. It is interesting how high the ICNIRP guideline are - they are a body called The Energy Networks Association, which, I presume, are made of electricity companies....
This also does not give guideline levels for prolonged exposure in homes.

I hope all this information is helpful. Many thanks again for any input.

Attachments

• EMF-Guidelines.pdf
    317.8 KB · Views: 9
At what frequencies are the high levels of emf?

What type of radio transmitters are near you?

Last edited:
For DPG;

Have Electromagnetic and Electric Field frequencies in flat.
EMg often measures levels between 2 - 10 mg / 20 - 100 uT
EF often measures levels between 10 - 100+ V/m

Both appear to fluctuate according to usage of electricity by 29 other residents of my block of flats; had EMF survey that recorded 'satisfactory' results on early Monday morning when electricity usage was low. Second EMF survey recorded very high levels of EF, high levels of EMg at Sunday lunchtime when electricity usage was high.
Readings come from main buildings wiring, not from my flat (or flats above and below).
2 years ago the disturbance started at the end of July, the beginning of the school summer holidays. We have 10+ teachers in the building, so they would all be home more then.
Second EMF started at the beginning of April this year, when the 'lock down' kicked in, so most residents would have been home then.

Did not get RF frequencies measured in June as couldn't afford fee and was more concerned with EMF from inside flat. This was only done recently (end of June 2020) as the main disturbance seemed to abate significantly to a level that would disturb me just once a month.

Radio transmitters near me (that I know of) are from a hospital, one is for their ER, the second from a Heliport. The Heliport opened around the time of these 2 incidents 2 years ago.
A Radio Transmitter from a Police station was operational 2 years ago, stopped when it closed about a year ago. When the second EMF disturbance started again in April 2020, I assumed it was from the Police station's Radio Transmitter becoming operational (due to the current emergency situation). However, I was told that this did not happen.

Many thanks for your interest!

Thanks again to Cookie for the link to UK Policy summary by www.emf.info
I did come across this, but forgot it in the sheer amount of information I gathered. However, it is important, especially as my flat's recorded levels often exceed those given;

EMg often measures levels between 2 - 10 mg / 20 - 100 uT
EF often measures levels between 10 - 100+ V/m

Relevant UK Policy info;

Exposure limits
Exposures to the general public in the UK should comply with the ICNIRP 1998 exposure limits in the terms of the 1999 EU Recommendation.

In practical application this means:
  • an electric field of 9 kV/m
  • a magnetic field of 360 µT
  • both applying where the time of exposure is significant, essentially homes, other places where people might stay overnight, and schools.

I am assuming that kV/m is the same as V/m?

I think a quick search will show many products that can shield you from EMF. There are two approaches one is body shielding and the other whole flat/house shielding. I imagine body clothing with built in shielding would be much cheaper.

To telectrix; thanks for your interest, that was very funny.
Unfortunately, my symptoms don't happen anywhere else outside the home, except for when near certain types of wi-fi, refrigerators and computers. And not all the time at home, thank goodness.
I would welcome a medical diagnosis, then I could do something about it, hopefully. Apart from cancer - nobody in their right mind would want that!
And I assume that the 2 EMF Tester metres, plus the independent EMF contractor's metres are not faulty.... It would be an extremely silly person to argue with scientific technology!
I hope you are able to sort out your alcohol-induced dizzy spells. How I wish I had those to explain this situation!
[automerge]1594582138[/automerge]
To Vortigern, many thanks for that advice; I have already got effective shielding for my bed which works most of the time. It is probably why my health has not been too affected this second time - the first time (2 years ago) I got Hyperthyroidism and actually moved out for 4 months. Unfortunately, I cannot do so this time.
[automerge]1594582801[/automerge]
Thanks James and DPG,
as you can see from comparing advice on safe levels from EM Watch to em.info and the ICNIRP levels, they are significantly different for EF. And 900 V/m is extremely high!
A number of other sources give safe levels as under 10 V/m.
As I have said, all levels are recommended, but no official levels are given for homes. The ones given by em.info and the ICIRP are 'with particular reference to power lines' - outside of the home.

Last edited:
Being honest 2-10mg isn't that high... in the states I'd expect something like 100mg with our grounding practices...
[automerge]1594584759[/automerge]
If anyone is curious- here is video describing common causes of elevated EMFs in buildings. The problems disclosed here are abundantly common in the US, however I'd imagine that they also happen in UK wiring systems to some degree give or take.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAAZCMns8YM

Not really discussed in this video but bonding of gas, water, and rebar in TN-C-S systems can also "naturally" elevate magnetic fields in a building.

Last edited:

Reply to EMF dangers - advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock