Discuss Employment advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dacons

Hey guys need some advice on giving my notice I started with a firm 3 months back but I hate it my boss lies to me all the time and cocks up on things then I have to sort it out and he gets funny with me like it's my fault I can count on one hand the amount of times I've stopped for lunch it's doing my head in also hate most of the contracts so not great all round really.
My question is what notice period do I need to give as it doesn't seem to say it does say there notice periods which are 1 week during probation then the same for the first 2 years of employment after which it goes up to a month.
They have the usual trick of referring to the handbook which I've never seen.
Legally do I have the right to say I'm giving the same as the company or can the demand a month even though there a week.

It depends on how much you need a reference.
If you've got another job to go to and you leave the day you get paid then there's not much they can do about it.

At the end of your probation period they'll probably invite you to an interview, which could go either way - you may be offered a full time job or you may be shown the door; if it's the latter they should hint at that when they invite you to the interview.

If you need a reference you should probably give as much notice as possible, although even after that they've got no obligation to give you one at all.
If it were me I'd probably start looking around and start whenever my new employer wants me to.

If they are breaking employment law by not allowing you to have adequate rest breaks etc. (as you mentioned never stopping for lunch) then as far as I am concerned they have broken the law and are not entitled to any notice. (I am not an employment lawyer or Solicitor of any sort though!)

Do you have an employment contract? what doe it say about notice, if he continues to be arsey and you don't need a reference then take him to a tribunal, he is obviously breaking the rules by not allowing you to take the breaks you are entitled to, no contract just walk.

I have a contract but it only dictates what there required to give so during probation one week but doesn't mention mine and the lunch thing is the usual thing I can take lunch but the job needs to be done

I have a contract but it only dictates what there required to give so during probation one week but doesn't mention mine and the lunch thing is the usual thing I can take lunch but the job needs to be done

All in all not much of a contract then, not in a TU are you by any chance, remember it's against the law to give a bad reference I seem to remember.

Standard notice is usally the same for employer and employee.Unless a finanial penalty is indicated in your contract they have to pay all moneys owed too.
They can indicate in any reference they give that you left without notice. (I have no legal training)
Personally regardless of the employer I have always given and worked the correct notice. Any new employer worth his salt will respect this and you for doing this.

remember it's against the law to give a bad reference I seem to remember.

I don't think that's technically true, but if the reference could be shown to be false then they could be sued for it. So in general an employer won't give a bad (or good) reference, but merely confirm that whoever it was did indeed work there between whatever dates.

I don't think that's technically true, but if the reference could be shown to be false then they could be sued for it. So in general an employer won't give a bad (or good) reference, but merely confirm that whoever it was did indeed work there between whatever dates.
You can't give a bad reference. You can refuse to give a reference, supply dates worked at company...if asked would you employ again can say NO. And can also give reason's for leaving company (eg Sacked for Gross Misconduct etc etc).

Reply to Employment advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net