Discuss Energy Green Deal Ltd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
Anyone had dealing with these? We have just had a surveyor round who claims that our house was not built with cavity wall insulation when it should have been. The house was built in 1990. The surveyor explained that they would drill four holes to ascertain if there is any insulation within the cavity and then if it is confirmed that there isn't then they would come back another day and fill the cavity wall with insulation.

I asked how did he know that there was no insulation and he said that it was on his records. he said that it would be free of charge with no cost to us and that the company are funded by the government to carry out the work.

My concern is that the name 'Green Deal' in the company name. Even though the surveyor explained that it was free, I am sceptical about it being linked to the well promoted green deal and that the cost of the work will be added to our energy bill and we will pay it back that way.

Anyone had any experience about it.

Anyone had dealing with these? We have just had a surveyor round who claims that our house was not built with cavity wall insulation when it should have been. The house was built in 1990. The surveyor explained that they would drill four holes to ascertain if there is any insulation within the cavity and then if it is confirmed that there isn't then they would come back another day and fill the cavity wall with insulation.

your house may of been built in 1990 but the drawings may of been signed of a lot earlier. Sometimes big builders start a bit of ground works then leave the site for a few years but technically the building has started.

I asked how did he know that there was no insulation and he said that it was on his records. he said that it would be free of charge with no cost to us and that the company are funded by the government to carry out the work.

They may have done other property's in your area/road that was built at the same time and kept a record of it. They drill holes and poke a camera in and try to find away of getting the insulation paid for under the hard to treat scheme, so if there is muck on the brick ties or the cavity narrows slightly (which they do a lot at the top of gable for example) then it's paid for under the hard to treat scheme. On the other had the other funding is ECO (energy company obligation) this is where one of the big six covers the cost and it counts towards their Carbon neutral target that they have to meet by 2020.

My concern is that the name 'Green Deal' in the company name. Even though the surveyor explained that it was free, I am sceptical about it being linked to the well promoted green deal and that the cost of the work will be added to our energy bill and we will pay it back that way.

The company may have green deal in the name but I would bet that they are a sales company that generate leads then sell them on to the likes of mark group, dyson energy services, miller pattison (now called help-link home) and it will be one of these that will actually carry out the cavity wall insulation.

Cavity wall insulation is a good thing if done properly but if it isn't it causes no end of problems with damp, condensation, etc. The trouble with it is that the lads who install the cavity wall insulation are on price per meter with unachievable targets to hit a day to earn a living. If it's not blown in even then this is when you get condensation issues due to hot and cold spots. To get round this they stretch the drill pattern right out and blow the whole house light so if your house is ever thermal imaged it all comes up the same colour because it's even all over but you aren't really benefitting.

Last edited:

Personally, I am highly sceptical of any 'cold call' agent ... it is highly unlikely that the organisation that they serve has your best interests at heart; particularly if the organisation is not 'local'!

Reply to Energy Green Deal Ltd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net