Discuss Enforced holidays by my employer, is this allowed. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a notice period that must be given if you are asked to use your holidays because there is no work?
Basically, my employer gives me very little notice whatsoever. I can be working away on say a Wednesday and he will just text me on the Wednesday and tell me that I have to take Thusday and Friday off.
I appreciate the fact that there is no work, but this really grinds my gears.

A quick Google with the terms:- "can an employer tell me when to take holidays"

The top answer is one from the TUC:-

Can my employer make me take my holidays when they want, rather than when I'd like? | workSMART - https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/hours-and-holidays/holidays/can-my-employer-make-me-take-my-holidays-when-they-want

The answer is yes they can, but they can't tell you on Wednesday that you're on holiday on Thursday and Friday. According to the TUC they are required to give you 2 days notice for everyday they want you to take off.

Personally I think it stinks and if I was in your boat I'd possibly be looking for another job.

To clarify. Is your employer asking you to use your allocation of AL or is it to take days off without pay?

Hi Sparkychick, thank`s for the reply, it does stink and I usually just take it on the chin and get on with it, that`s my nature I suppose.
He does not ask me to take them off without pay Midwest, just use up some of your allocated/accrued.

Its not un-common at all for employers to force holiday times out of your allocation, however where i have seen this happen, it was well known when these times are scheduled, i.e. between xmas and new year, works shutdowns etc. Telling you to take a holiday with less than 24 hrs notice is taking the *iss

If it's a good employer and they are struggling with work load I think I would help out by taking the hols when asked. After all they have given you a job and I would be grateful for this.
It's about give and take. If you need time off for something important( not trivial ) they would be more obliging.

However if they are doing this on a regular basis and are relying on this strategy due to a lack of planning of there schedules properly then yes there taking the p***.

Reply to Enforced holidays by my employer, is this allowed. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock