Discuss Equipotential Bonding Explanation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
OK......I know I'll get slaughtered for asking this question because I'm not an electrician but I'm working my way through Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations for no other reason than I like to learn. I've searched the web till my head hurts and watched YouTube videos by John Ward, Chris Kitchner and many others till I'm dizzy but I just don't get Equipotential Bonding. I see that the purpose involves joining together metalwork and conductive items that are or may be earthed so that it is at the same potential everywhere, normally to Gas/Water/Oil/Building. As I understand it, if an exposed conductive part becomes live through a fault and a person touches it and at the same time an extraneous conductive part that is not bonded they'll get a shock but if the extraneous conductive part is bonded they won't. Obviously I'm wrong. Can someone explain it in layman's language please. I attach an image.....surely the human will get a shock here.

Equipotential Bonding Explanation Main-Bonding1 - EletriciansForums.net

I think you have had too much to think. You seem to have the essential understanding in your statements. What may be missing is an extraneous part can be at a different potential to the earthed metal work hence a danger of shock in the difference between the parts. However if the extraneous part is joined to existing earth you avoid that difference with the bonus of tying into the additional protection of the RCD. It is one of those things that you don't know what to ask for the right answer you are looking for. Maybe pan back from just the parts of the earthing system and look at the whole thing???

if for example a fault in your metal kettle made the casing become live ie 230v and you touched this at the same time as the metal tap on your kitchen sink that is earthed it would be very dangerous,so by linking them both together via bonding makes the situation safer reducing the risk of shock

Do you understand potential difference?

I suspect you may need to have a better picture of what happens when a potential difference exists,where it exists current can flow in a circuit
Having no potential difference,it will result in no flow

The guy is touching 2 connected parts,it should result in no flow through his body because no PD exists

if for example a fault in your metal kettle made the casing become live ie 230v and you touched this at the same time as the metal tap on your kitchen sink that is earthed it would be very dangerous,so by linking them both together via bonding makes the situation safer reducing the risk of shock

What?? I dont think this is a very good explanation to the op!
How is it dangersous if its bonded, your contradicting yourself..

Do a little research on touch voltage as well, that might help

What?? I dont think this is a very good explanation to the op!
How is it dangersous if its bonded, your contradicting yourself..
i tried to explain it in simple terms for the DIY poster,i dont know how you could read what i said wrong,you do understand the difference between earth and bonding ?

Great to hear you love to learn!
Two metal parts that you can touch at the same time may be very dangerous during a fault. The equipotential bonding makes the two locations the same potential so current won't flow. The poor chap may still get a zap, it might come via his shoes and for sure it would be much reduced.

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I understand what PD is and current flow on fault (If). I understand what Ze, Zs, PFC, ADS, OCPD, MET, etc,etc are - I even understand the adiabatic equation and have studied the maths behind touch voltage (Ut). I understand how earthing works, but I still don't get EB. kenny7askew's answer is where I'm at. If the kettle has developed a fault and the casing has become live, surely ADS kicks in? What am I missing?

right. taking the kettle for example. the casing is earthed so is at 0 volts wrt the earth itself. the water and gas pipes are bonded, so they are also at 0V. now, if the kettle casing becomes live (230V) due to a fault the PD from that casing to earth is 230V. the water and gas pipes, because they are bonded and have minimal resistance to your kettle casing, they will also rise to 230V, or close to it. this means that if you are in contact with both kettle and bonded extraneous parts (water, gas etc.) the PD across you body will be negligible. the magic figure is 50V. ADS will kick in and then both kettle casing and pipework return to 0V. this is why we endeavour to get a high fault current to ensure that the MCB/Fuse breaks within the 0.4 secs. stipulated by BS7671.

bloody long-winded for me, that. think i need a beer.

The casing is earthed so is at 0 volts wrt the earth itself. the water and gas pipes are bonded, so they are also at 0V. now, if the kettle casing becomes live (230V) due to a fault the PD from that casing to earth is 230V. the water and gas pipes, because they are bonded and have minimal resistance to your kettle casing, they will also rise to 230V, or close to it. this means that if you are in contact with both kettle and bonded extraneous parts (water, gas etc.) the PD across you body will be negligible. the magic figure is 50V. ADS will kick in and then both kettle casing and pipework return to 0V. this is why we endeavour to get a high fault current to ensure that the MCB/Fuse breaks within the 0.4 secs. stipulated by BS7671.

I have to say this is the bit that confuses me along with the difference between bonding and earthing...

In the kitchen example quoted we have a faulty kettle casing at 240V and lets say we have a metal sink that is also bonded to lets say a towel rail. Both of those items are supposed to be earthed as well.

Now, if you walk into the kitchen wearing your rubber clogs and touch the kettle, no problem....You are at 240V but there is no current flow as there is no path to earth. If the kettle casing happened to be already touching the sink, again no problem as it will short to earth and trip the RCB/MCB.

The problem starts if you touch the sink or some other earthed object and the faulty kettle casing, causing you to provide a path to earth via your body, current flows and you receive a shock until the RCB trips.

So as I look at it, the more metal surfaces that are bonded and earthed, the more chance there is of you touching a faulty appliance and an earth?

if supposing the main earth to your house was lost because of maybe a broken earth rod or something then if the kettle became live there would be no fault path to trip the mcb,so the kettle would be live but because of bonding it would be at the same potential as your pipes ect

Bonding is there to reduce the touch voltage that may be experienced during a fault, i.e. for the 0.4s before the automatic disconnection occurs. A person could die in less than 0.01s if the current is high enough.
It is also there in case of the failure of ADS to disconnect where the risk of an electric shock is much higher because there is more time to experience it and in this case bonding will keep the touch voltages below (ideally) 50V and so (potentially) safe.

Bonding is there to reduce the touch voltage that may be experienced during a fault, i.e. for the 0.4s before the automatic disconnection occurs. A person could die in less than 0.01s if the current is high enough.
It is also there in case of the failure of ADS to disconnect where the risk of an electric shock is much higher because there is more time to experience it and in this case bonding will keep the touch voltages below (ideally) 50V and so (potentially) safe.
Thanks...

So should all bonded surfaces also be earthed?

In basic laymans terms:-
Electrical current will flow via the least resistive path. obviously we want to avoid/minimise current flow through the human body during a fault condition when an exposed conductive part is touched.
Connecting any exposed conductive parts together (bonding) allows the current to flow through the bonding conductor rather than the person.

We test exposed conductive parts to see if there is a "potential difference" (Tel and Richard touched on this in their posts) that would be dangerous. I would advice you do some reading up on - potential difference & touch voltage at this point.

If there is a dangerous potential difference then this needs to be addressed i.e - bonding.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again.....I'm getting closer to understanding this. telectrix's explanation really helped and I can see that under fault conditions (because of bonding) both the kettle and the extraneous parts will be at the same voltage (230V). Without the bonding, only the kettle would be at 230V and there would be a PD between the two. Richard Burns also helped by explaining that ADS could take 0.4s (or fail) and a person could die in 0.01s. The last bit of the puzzle for me is that if you are in contact with both kettle and bonded extraneous part (both at 230V) will you not get a shock if you are standing on the ground? Is it because (as David M says)..."current will flow via the least resistive path"

Also if your protective measure is ADS then protective bonding is crucial if applicable to the installation ie they are extraneous conductive parts accessible to touch within the property/installation.

just done an inspection at a house. no bonding visible to gas or water at the entry points, but a wander lead gives each point of entry 0.20 ohms to MET. the gas is bonded to the cold water via the boiler.I,m considering a C3. any thoughts?

The last bit of the puzzle for me is that if you are in contact with both kettle and bonded extraneous part (both at 230V) will you not get a shock if you are standing on the ground?

Bonding and eathing in this context is referring to situations inside a building. A floor is not normally in contact with the earth. Although in some buildings it can be which is why any earth grid or screen is set in the floor, or a wet bathroom floor can be in contact with a radiator pipe, which is why special locations apply. However services or steelwork can be set in the ground giving an earth path which is why they are bonded.

In out door situations, swimming pools, hot tubs, caravans and elv points etc. where you could be in contact with a conductive part in a fault situation and with the earth, particularly if the ground is wet, then there would be a potential difference. Which is why an earth rod is required which is, effectively, bonding the local earth.

Reply to Equipotential Bonding Explanation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock