Discuss Ethernet point no internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

On a recent job (electrical) the customer asked if I could add them a point to hard wire his computer to his internet. I put him an ethernet socket at each end, ran a piece of cat 5 in between and terminated with punch tool as per a bt socket. Customer reported not being able to get connected to the internet, they've got a lead out of the router into one socket and a lead into their computer at the other. I went back with a network cable tester so I could check my connections. Plugged into both ends with a long lead in between and it flashed through in sequence all fine.

So from my point of view all looked fine but still no internet. I gave him a long lead which we trailed upstairs and he could get internet fine. The run between sockets is only 10m max. Wondering if anyone could spot anything obvious or had any ideas on what is wrong.

Many thanks

When you tested your new outlet did you watch the lights on both ends of the lead?

The tester I have can show ok one end, but the other end could be wrong.

They haven't plugged in a second adsl filter in series have they? Ive had that before & it stopped internet access

Also when the computer is connected does it get an ip address

Thanks plugs I just meant the actual physical process of punching. I followed the colour scheme and did the same at both ends

Hopefully the pic illustrates

View attachment 49353

The orange and white/green look to be in the wrong place.
You've terminated the cat 5 cable incorrectly, you've removed too much of the cable jacket and allowed the core to become untwisted and seperated. The cable jacket should stop as close to the module as possible.

I was going to mention the cables being untwisted...
At least you have lost of slack left. Try terminating the sockets again. Twist the pairs back together as well.

When you tested your new outlet did you watch the lights on both ends of the lead?

The tester I have can show ok one end, but the other end could be wrong.
I got a 20m lead with a plug on each end so I could watch them both together, they all flashed through in sequence

are you running the cable out of a LAN port of the router I presume. When you tested straight out of the router did you use the same LAN port?
I left him to do that but when I gave him my long lead to try he plugged it in the same port of the router and it worked

The orange and white/green look to be in the wrong place.
You've terminated the cat 5 cable incorrectly, you've removed too much of the cable jacket and allowed the core to become untwisted and seperated. The cable jacket should stop as close to the module as possible.
I did do both ends the same wasn't sure what the correct way was as the colours go half and half on two if them. Didn't know you were supposed to not strip too much back or not untwist did by points like that on site for years thought it was neater/easier :(

ok so it is most likely to be the connections at the sockets. have you seen the issue on his computer - what is the status of the connection on the customers computer?
No I haven't seen it but the jist I got was it was connected but he couldn't get any internet through it if that makes sense

I did do both ends the same wasn't sure what the correct way was as the colours go half and half on two if them. Didn't know you were supposed to not strip too much back or not untwist did by points like that on site for years thought it was neater/easier :(

Yes, there are the two standards, A and B, that's why there are two different colour schemes labelled. Most people stick to B.

Yes it's easier, whether it's neater or not I'm not sure, but it's wrong.

Did you not take the time to read up on the correct way to terminate the cables before you started installing them? It doesn't take long and it's usually in the instructions that come with modules and patch panels.

Didn't see any but there may have been some. In fairness I haven't questioned it until now, haven't done ethernet sockets before but hundreds of bt sockets which I hadn't had any problems with. I do take your points on board though, thankyou. To my mind if the colours match at both ends which they do and I have tested to check they shouldn't stop anything working. But do you think the fact they are untwisted would affect the quality of connection ?

And I only meant neater in a sense that they weren't tight without any slack :)

That socket is wired wrongly. Swap your white/grn and org and it will be sorted. These sockets are confusing - be sure the follow the 'B' column on both sides.
If you're wrong, but consistently wrong, both ends will of course test OK electrically, but the four balanced twisted pairs will be mixed up, affecting the signal.
Also, as others have said, leave the pairs twisted until the last possible point! (And note the frequency of twist in each pair is different. No one said network cabling, for maximum performance, was easy :))

Reply to Ethernet point no internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock