Discuss Ever heard of a recirculating ceiling fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

u0362565

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there such a thing as a recirculating ceiling mounted kitchen extractor fan? The one i have been told about and seen from a distance is ceiling mounted, perhaps 25cm(L)x15cm(W)x10cm(D) and basically looks like a centrifugal fan but i've been told its of the recirculating type. My fear is when they say recirculating they mean pumping up into the roof space and that's their definition. Its definitely not ducted to the outside.

The only type of recirculating kitchen fans i can find are range hoods which contain grease/carbon filters.

If it turns out the fan does vent into the roof space between two flats, does this fail any regulations? I'm in the flat above and got issues with kitchen smells from below and suspect wrong extractor fan type has been used.

Thanks

A unit that size is unlikely to be recirculating. It doesn't sound big enough to accommodate the usual size of filter, and without it, what would be the point?

Can you access the loft space to see whether the fan vents into it?

It's a long story but it's not my fan it my neighbour below and he showed me the fan from a distance but as I say just looks like a rather large axial or centrifugal fan. The agency have said it of the recirculation type and that came from their electrician apparently I just don't get how it can be. And given the smells in our bathroom I suspect it's just pumping up into the roof void between flats.

If that's the case, is it against any regulations? I know you aren't allowed to do this in bathrooms but not sure about kitchens.

Reply to Ever heard of a recirculating ceiling fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Evening all, Currently 1st fixing new extension however the existing cooker hood duct which was on outside wall will now be part of new utility...
Replies
Views
I've just had a look at an extractor fan not working. As per title it's a bungalow and there are no external walls, so it vents through the loft...
Replies
Views
Hi i am looking for some advise regarding a bathroom extractor fan currently fitted to my new bathroom refurbishment. Problem i have is a...
Replies
Views
I recently had a large renovation project carried out and electrical work by the builders own electrical contractor. I have a problem with my...
Replies
Views
Morning all.. I have just been to a regular customer who has a problem with their extractor fan, i.e it doesn't work. I have not come across...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock