Discuss exam question help (student stuck) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

josh494949

hey there im a student training to become a electrician on a city and guild 2330 course

i have a simple question but just want to make sure

my question is as follows

------------------------------------------------------------
circuit / circuit breaker / rated short circuit current
lighting / 6A / ?
power / 32A / ?

i think its 6000A for both but that does not seem right (i made some poor notes now not sure if this is correct)

the question refers to domestic single phase its a simple question so no need to over think it?

can any one help???

hey there im a student training to become a electrician on a city and guild 2330 course

i have a simple question but just want to make sure

my question is as follows

circuit / circuit breaker / rated short circuit current
lighting / 6A / ?
power / 32A / ?

i think its 6000A for both but that does not seem right (i made some poor notes now not sure if this is correct)

the question refers to domestic single phase its a simple question so no need to over think it?

can any one help???

It depends upon what the PFC is when you do the design calculations. It could also be 10Ka

For most domestic type B MCB's it will be 6000A or 6KA.

You'll find it on the front of the MCB in a box - 6000. Some may be rated at 10KA though so watch for that. Again it will be on the front of the MCB in a box - 10000.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of modern mcb's have a pfc rating of 6k (6,000 amps) so your notes are probably correct especialy if its a b type BS EN 60898 b types being the most populer in domestic installs

thanx so much i had this wrote down but when you question your self you just cant stop lol
so this would be 6000a at 240v for a 6a and a 32a mcb?

thanx so much guys :)

Josh, just relate to exactly what the 6000A means ie The mcb is a mechanical device and the manufacturer is saying it can withstand a maximum current under fault conditions of 6000 amps. That would however be a one off disconnection cus thats a pretty high fault current.In the real world it is very unlikely that an mcb would have to undergo that kind of punishment due to other governing factors,but thats another story.;)

Reply to exam question help (student stuck) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock