Discuss exam question help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
got my exam coming up next week and been doing a few mock exams.

just wondered if anyone could help my with the following 2 which I have got wrong a couple of times and need to see where im going wrong

Q1.
Cable selection for a motor circuit. A 3 kW/230v 50Hz singles phase motor has an efficiency of 70% works at a power factor of 0.6 lagging.It is fed by single core copper conductors run through steel conduit (method 3). The cable is 25m long and the voltage drop must not exceed 6V. If the ambient temperature is 25oC and the circuit protective devices are BS 88 fuses, determine a suitable size cable for the installation. Assume the disconnection time and thermal constraints are both satisfied.
For this I got 1.5mm2

Q2.
Cable selection for an industrial load A heater rated at 16Kw is fed at 400V 50Hz. A three phase 4 wire supply is to be installed in a factory using PVC non armoured copper conductors multicore cable, The cable is 25m long and is installed clipped direct to a wall. If the ambient temperature is 35oC and the circuit protective devices are BS 3036 fuses, determine a suitable size cable for the installation. If the 3036 fuses were replaced by BS88(Cg) fuses what would be the effect on the cable current rating.
I put 6mm2 for this and that the fusing has no change

thanks

mrjammin

Reply to exam question help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
....TN-S appears outside, butt TT employed inside. Good Evening Everybody (This is my first post) Overview: The supply to my parent's cottage...
Replies
Views
Landlord has had an EICR done on the property as is required under the new PRS legislation, got a copy of the report and I'm not overly impressed...
Replies
Views
Hi I am a sparks from the 15th Ed, did 16, 17 and last year 18th. I am out of practice though as have been office based for 12+ years in a...
Replies
Views
Hello community, first time post.... I'm currently working on a bathroom renovation, in which I'm installing a 9kW steam generator/boiler. I'm a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock