Discuss Exhaustive list of Multimeter uses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

moufflon

Hello:)

I be a learner sparky down 'ere in Somerset and this question has been bugging me all evening. A chap on my course (2330) showed me his swanky new Fluke.
I can't really see the point in having one at all.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hello Lennytheloon,

would I not be better off using the following:

A stand alone voltage indicator
An r1 andr2 box for sockets
A low resistance Ohm meter

Can I use a multimeter to realistically do voltage and resistance testing on domestic installations?
If so then they sound great.

Hey.

Bit confused now... by multimeter do you mean multifunction tester??

A multimeter is a lot cheaper than a multifunction tester as it doesn't do as much. A multimeter will measure voltage and continuity whereas a multifunction tester tests the whole installation - insulation resistance, Zs, PSC, continuity, RCD trip times.

You would have a multimeter in your tool box for basic checking of voltage & continuity.

Cheers.

Sorry - I did mean one of the little ones not a multifunction tester.

Would you check mains voltage with a multimeter?

Thanks for your thoughts

it will be ok for mains testing but some places dont like it for mains testing and insist upon standalone voltage testers like you said ie martingdales but not them ****** glowing screwdrivers lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used my multimeter extensiveley for testing of control systems where the voltage and outputs ranges are low and a normal voltage tester does not give you the desired acuracy - but i have never really found it useful in domestic work unless I am fault finding alarm or electric gate systems etc.

hope this helps.

Awroight moi lover! Always found a multi-meter invaluable for fault-finding, specially if yr doing controls or PCB work. Not so sure for residential stuff 'cos never done much. Some of them gert biguns have stuff you might never use but then again you never know when you want to measure freq, temp, test a diode, etc.

would I not be better off using the following:

A stand alone voltage indicator
An r1 andr2 box for sockets
A low resistance Ohm meter

Can I use a multimeter to realistically do voltage and resistance testing on domestic installations?
If so then they sound great.

From reading your post, it sounds like your friend has bought a Fluke Multimeter which can also be used for Micro-Electronics etc. It would normally look like this:

Exhaustive list of Multimeter uses {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I found these have far too many functions than i will ever need. A great purchase for basic testing is on of these:

Exhaustive list of Multimeter uses {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This will give you voltage in either AC/DC and also has continuity. It is a valuable tool to use before commmencinig work to make sure the supply is safely isolated.
For colledge you will also need to use one of these but also test your tester on a proving meter before and after checking supply voltages.

I use a Fluke T3 voltage indicator for checking voltages whilst doing second fix etc and a Megger MFT1552 for Zs, Ze, R1 + R2, RCD etc for completing certificates on installations.

Hope this helps

Eskimo39 - that is exactly what he's got.

Thanks for your other information too.

Thanks for your thoughts desertbootz and nice French/Wiltshire accent!!!

Reply to Exhaustive list of Multimeter uses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock