Discuss Extension lead (camping site) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That won't be waterproof will it? It rains on campsites.

Hookup leads for campsites are generally quite long as tents are often not next to the site hookup sockets.

Changing the plug on your cable reel should be OK. Just be sure the reel end remains inside the tent and is fully unwound.

Combination of both above points, ie: Long lead with Commando plug on one end and 13A socket on other end - this keeps the 13A fuse protection in place. Then a standard 4 way extension adaptor plugged in to this inside the tent - this keeps water off the plug/socket.

Strictly speaking, the OP's plan is not correct. The cable of a domestic extension lead will at the most be 1.25mm², which is rated for a maximum of 13A fully unrolled and should be protected by a 13A fuse. The protection on the 16A socket outlet may be 16 or 20A, so it would be possible to overload the cable if it has multiple 13A sockets as the load may be shared by more than one 13A fuse at the reel end.

In practice it's unlikely to be a problem, but when added to the fact that the cable is neither arctic grade or tough rubber, it is less than ideal to repurpose a multi-socket domestic extension in this way. Note that the thermal cutouts included in some reels are primarily to save the cable from melting into a solid lump if misused, and are not a good substitute for correct fusing at the plug end.

Personally I would prefer a fully rated 2.5mm² tough rubber 16A extension, converted to 13A at the load end.

Strictly speaking, the OP's plan is not correct. The cable of a domestic extension lead will at the most be 1.25mm², which is rated for a maximum of 13A fully unrolled and should be protected by a 13A fuse. The protection on the 16A socket outlet may be 16 or 20A, so it would be possible to overload the cable if it has multiple 13A sockets as the load may be shared by more than one 13A fuse at the reel end.

In practice it's unlikely to be a problem, but when added to the fact that the cable is neither arctic grade or tough rubber, it is less than ideal to repurpose a multi-socket domestic extension in this way. Note that the thermal cutouts included in some reels are primarily to save the cable from melting into a solid lump if misused, and are not a good substitute for correct fusing at the plug end.

Personally I would prefer a fully rated 2.5mm² tough rubber 16A extension, converted to 13A at the load end.
Would that be the Plug, Plug Top or Plug Bottom Lucien?:rolleyes::D

If they offer a hook up point surely they would be the people to ask? I find it surprising they offer a hook up point for a tent? Are they not usually for a vehicle that has a point that is compatible with it.

Previous career path so I knows my stuff.
We offered tent pitches with 16a rcd protected hookups the same as for touring caravans.
I recommended ready made 16a lead long enough to reach tent, then a short 4 way adaptor with the 13a plug swapped for 16a- INSIDE the tent
Don’t go overloading it.
I’ve seen tents with halogen heaters, 500w floodlights and kettles/ hotplates plugged into them

I’ve seen tents with halogen heaters, 500w floodlights and kettles/ hotplates plugged into them

That’s not “proper” camping! Shouldn’t have electric, should only have gas primus stoves, and a gas lantern.....that’s part of the fun!

That’s not “proper” camping! Shouldn’t have electric, should only have gas primus stoves, and a gas lantern.....that’s part of the fun!
gas for camping? luxury. a meths burner and candles was all we had in winter on the Brecon Beacons.

So some of the hikers/cyclists said when we told them leccy as in with the price. They huffed off having paid what they thought should be an 'extra' just to come down 10 minutes later and ask where they could plug their phones in to charge.

"Yes, in the bar there... but you would have to buy a coffee for the priviledge"

a flint??? we had to rub 2 dicks sticks together

Reply to Extension lead (camping site) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net