Discuss External Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning guys, looking for a bit if advice.... I have 3 external spots lights (single phase)20190130_064158.jpg that are ran off contactor and timer... there was no diagrams or existing circuit to follow... could one of yous maybe tell me if this circuit I quickly drew up would do? Thanks a lot

Nothing you'd change in it? I have only been practising this trade for 3 years....I am a mechanic to trade but decided I wanted a career change a few years ago so i done my HNC in electrical enginnering and a few other city and guilds and 18th Edition and started working in renewable energy as supervisor of wind farm... not 100 percent confident yet so hence why I am asking for advice.

Why not use a time switch, either standalone or DIN mounted?

Good morning guys, looking for a bit if advice.... I have 3 external spots lights (single phase)View attachment 47488 that are ran off contactor and timer... there was no diagrams or existing circuit to follow... could one of yous maybe tell me if this circuit I quickly drew up would do? Thanks a lot

Spelling police about. Your poor wife.
Why not use a time switch, either standalone or DIN mounted?

Yeah I have a time switch in place, it's a really old one tho and there's only 3 wires coming from it tho .. L&N and I am guessing the other one is the signal wire which will send 230v to the coil...there's no others. There's no symbols or anything on it either or instructions. Hopefully the circuit I drew earlier and posted should do?

Agree with above, as all the circuits are effectively controlled via one MCB I assume the loading is not very high, so do you actually need a contactor?

p.s love those space invader light fittings, very retro

As you say it is quite old is it a round mechanical timeswitch with a black base and a clear plastic cover?

No it's got a LCD display still looks quite old tho, soon as I touch it all the writing just rubs off, it's completely gooked... might just replace it with a new one as I need to rewire the full circuit anyway.

Reply to External Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net