Discuss Fan and speed controller in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SergeA

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and recently have built a vaulted ceiling kitchen extension , I have run 2 4 inch flat duct from the kitchen across the vaulted ceiling into the existing loft space I have also ran a 3core +e to the loft from the kitchen island for a speed controller .. what I want to do is connect a suitable sized fan and controller to extract .. the reason I have done this is because I have an open plan kitchen living room and didn’t want to have an ugly extractor hood or a ceiling one which would of been noisy and ruin me watching football whilst cooking I’ll attach pictures .. and advice would be appreciated ... thanks serge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
If you want the extractor fans to be quite then why not get in-line extractor fans and have them in the loft space?
Not sure about having extractor fans that extract into the loft space. I'm sure someone will know if this goes against the building regs.

I'm a little bit unsure as to what question you are asking us?

There are many kitchen extractors with remote fan units that can be located on outside walls or in lofts so I would look at one of them first as they will hav ethe necessary filters to handle the grease that gets sucked in to kitchen extractors.

I would be wary of just installing a regular online extractor fan as you would for a bathroom as the grease buildup could become a fire risk.

Have you insulated the ducting throughout its full run?

How are you terminating the outgoing side of the fan to outside air?

hi thanks for replying so quick,

I didn’t properly explain the set up I have

In the kitchen I have 2 4 inch ducts that I will put grills on(my uncle owns fabricators and is going to make me 2 grills with a detachable front so I can change and put in a carbon filter for grease ,

The 2 4 inch duct run have been used as the centre of island just so happened to have a ceiling joist bang centre so I decided 2 put 2 4 inch instead of one 6 inch ... the other end of the ducts are in the loft ,,, now I was planning on either putting a 6 inch or 8 inch fan depending on advice and use the plastic reducers.. the other side of the fan will have to be reduced to 2 4 inches ducts again as I have 2 4 inch tile vents waiting to connect too

I suppose what I was mainly looking for is advice on speed controllers as 95% of the fan I fit are standard bathroom fans with built in timers .. and I wanted a good quality fan that will work with a good quality speed controller obviously within reason as I have never needed to use any I am shopping blind

Hope that clears things up a bit

Mixed flow inline fans such as the manrose MF series usually have 2 or 3 speed options, you can fit a multi position switch to select the desired speed.
So for a two speed option you could have a 3 position rocker switch for low, high and centre off.
With 3 core cable youll obviously be limited to 2 speeds.

Reply to Fan and speed controller in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net