Discuss Faulty switch or something else?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Going to look at a faulty grid switch isolator on Monday, hopefully just a faulty switch, but I’m wondering if there could have been a mix up with the original wiring.

Worked in this house before where I found the legs of the upstairs and downstairs rfc’s had been mixed up at the board.... now I’m thinking same could have happened in kitchen ring.

The problem is that the grid switch for the washing machine in the kitchen doesn’t isolate the washing machine. Although the other 3 switches in the grid operate their appliances. (W/m being second from left)

Faulty switch, sticking on was my first thought.... but what if the grid is wired incorrectly? Ie, the spur from the washing machine is actually one leg of the ring?
Turning the switch off is creating 2 radials.

Think I agree, start simple. A multi-meter across the terminals will quickly prove the point!

(Just about anything is ultimately possible - I found a fused spur mis-wired once so the ring was the 'load', with the 13A fuse completing the ring, the real load was energised all the time...)

Reply to Faulty switch or something else?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock