Discuss FCU inside zone 2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
In a house where i'm working at the minute (looking for a ghost thats tripping the RCD) I noticed theres an electric towel rail in the bathroom, the and theres an unswitched FCU (with flex outlet to the towel rail) below said rail about a foot away from the bath. in the next room theres a switched FCU on the ring that feeds this.
obviously it's not allowed, but how do i go about rectifying this? is there such thing as an IP55 flex outlet to fit onto a recessed backbox?? or do i tell them i'm gonna have to disconnect it? is an electric towel rail even allowed inside zone 2?
also in the same bathroom theres also another switched FCU even closer to the bath, connected to something that blows bubbles into the bath!! never seen one of these myself, and the tennants say they will never use it so i disconnected it. the FCU is directly on the ring, so at the minute i've just put a blank plate on it as i can't getird of it completely without breaking the ring. whats the score with this? i'm not keen on live stuff on a 32 a breaker at the foot of the bath, looks like an accident waiting to happen!

yes towel rails are suitable for zone 2 , nearly all of them are IP44
putting blank plate over unused spur is fine , no need to do anymore.
change towel rail spur to just a standard flex outlet as its switched from another room.
simples.

It seems odd that there's 2 FCU's for the towel rail. I lie, it's not odd, nothing surprises me anymore...

yes towel rails are suitable for zone 2 , nearly all of them are IP44
putting blank plate over unused spur is fine , no need to do anymore.
change towel rail spur to just a standard flex outlet as its switched from another room.
simples.
OSG table 8.1 says "min degree protection IPX4 (5 if water jets) fixed permanently connected equipment allowed. general rules apply" thing that i was bothered about is a standard white plastic accessory isn't IPX5, is it just the current using equipment the regs are bothered about?

It seems odd that there's 2 FCU's for the towel rail. I lie, it's not odd, nothing surprises me anymore...
must have ran out of flex outlet plates and just stuck an FCU in!

Reply to FCU inside zone 2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net