Discuss Feed and switch wire at an intermediate... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Evening all

Try to rack my brain about whether this would work.....

Customer on a job wants to add a 3rd switch on a lighting circuit, however it is near impossible to get from the 2way switch but easy to get from the first switch

Will having the intermediate switch where the feed and switch wire work.....

Cheers

T

Yup,So instead of joining the 3rd cores together at the inter, feed in joined to go to common one of the 2 way switches, light feed joined to go off to common on the other 2 way, strappers as per usual on the inter.

Ha! Someone may explain it better or if you're lucky, draw a pretty picture!

So using your colours of choice:

L1 brown, l2 grey black common at the 2 ways

At the intermediate: brown and greys into L1 and L2 as normal.
Join one black to permanent live in
Join others black to switched live to light

Don't know if this helps. Orange is a switch.
Middle one is intermediate, either as shown, or crossed over.
Feed and switch wire at an intermediate... 1630704348323 - EletriciansForums.net

I suppose the easiest way of thinking about it is to take the normal basic 2 way switch setup with 2 strappers between L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. Then the feed to the common on one switch, and the load from the common on the other switch.
All you are doing is extending each common to the middle using the 3rd core.

The intermediate switch is just swapping the two strappers over and could be at any point on the circuit, or not be there at all.

To sum up:
Either of the two normal configurations will work just fine.
@timhoward shows the 'conventional' option above.
@littlespark describes the 'conversion' option. In this case, where all three terminals of both 2-ways are connected together with L & SL paralleled to L1 and L2, it doesn't matter where in the run of strappers they tap in provided they are both on the same side of the intermediate switch.

Had to read this thread a few times, but I think I got it.

So my understanding is that these are the two options described above - please correct me if I am wrong (and forgive my crude PowerPoint drawings)

Feed and switch wire at an intermediate... opt1 - EletriciansForums.net

and

Feed and switch wire at an intermediate... opt2 - EletriciansForums.net

It's still wrong. PL and SL must tap into the brown and grey of the same strapper cable. Imagine they were paralelled at one of the 2-ways, and then just transferred to the other end of the same strapper cable.

Yes. I think manufacturers are inconsistent with labelleling L1 and L2 on intermediates. Traditionally I recall it being L1 for both 'brown' terminals and L2 for both 'grey', but have seen drawings as per yours with L1 for both terminals facing one 2-way and L2 for both facing the other. Perhaps someone could confirm? I don't usually install light switches so it's ages sinnce I looked at one.

Reply to Feed and switch wire at an intermediate... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock