Discuss Felt stupid but we are always learning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can't believe the big local distributors don't stock them. I would have thought these items would be in fairly decent demand by sparks.

They are handy in some applications, but with them being a PZ/SL usually a PZ or a SL will do the job just as well, which may account for lack of demand ?

what's wrong with an impact driver? plenty of grip and loads of torque. far quicker as well. :59:

I have both the WIHA and WERA sets that come with a handle and inserts. I would recommend the WERA now as the WIHA inserts have tendency to pop out as they are secured via a slider thing half way down the shaft, whereas the WERA set push into the handle.

It sounds silly but in practice it is very easy to push the locating sleeve into the dislocate position thus losing the bit from the handle. Also, in the WIHA set, the handle grip is quite round and smooth, making a good purchase grip on the handle more difficult than on the WERA set.

On a final note, I personally go by the description of plus/minus for the type of combination head you are referring to.

Many may disagree, but I find that to get a proper grip on many of the manufacturer's terminals, these are a must for any toolbox in order to get a decent, tight, sound termination, without mashing up the screw head.

Voltz
yes i have a set of these best tool set i ever bought , all the screwdivers you nead in one little pouch , mine put the handle down the other day and thought i had lost it , thank god i fould it under a bench :)

The problem I have with the plus/minus screwdrivers is they're prone to the tips breaking the first time you use a philips plus/minus screwdriver in pozi plus/minus screw and vice versa. You've got to be really aware of using the correct driver for the correct screw every time.

And here's ck on screw fix sigh :

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/ck-dextro-vde-modulo-screwdriver-set-2-piecec-set/75139

I searched their site for weeks looking for a set, seems I wasn't trying hard enough....

you can get these bahco set from screwfix Bahco Combination Tip Screwdriver Set 310mm 2Pcs | Screwdrivers & Hex Keys | NoLinkingToThis

Shame that whoever wrote the description for Screwfix didn't understand what they were selling. I've found this a lot with Screwfix's descriptions; some are total garbage.

That's a very handy picture, thank you :)

I like "mortorq."

It's what an old rusty pozi/phillips screw head looks like after I've tried to unscrew it using a phillips/pozi driver, without putting enough pressure on. Previously I'd called this head style "fubar." Didn't realise it had a technical name.

Every day's a school day. :)

The problem I have with the plus/minus screwdrivers is they're prone to the tips breaking the first time you use a philips plus/minus screwdriver in pozi plus/minus screw and vice versa. You've got to be really aware of using the correct driver for the correct screw every time.

That's what being a tradesman is all about isn't it? You wouldn't catch a plasterer laying on with a bricklayer's trowel would you?

That's a very handy picture, thank you :)

I like "mortorq."

It's what an old rusty pozi/phillips screw head looks like after I've tried to unscrew it using a phillips/pozi driver, without putting enough pressure on. Previously I'd called this head style "fubar." Didn't realise it had a technical name.

Every day's a school day. :)
most of them silly heads will succumb to a pair of sharp sidecutters. one jaw in the middle and the other biting into the outside.

I think the one they call 'spanner' would need both sides of the sidecutters biting into the outer edge. :)

...Another useful tip,when having to remove any type of fixing,is just to pop an M6 or M8 plain nut,over the head,and MIG or MMA in the centre...simply socket off.

The tiny inverter sets available,and a 1.6mm rod,sometimes are the easiest way round a couple of dozen gnarled heads.

Only mentioned this,as it reminded me of an incident at a large engineering works,years back.

I was there,sorting out some hydraulic issue,anywho...in the shop-floor managers' office,there was the foreman,and his 21 year old protege,attempting to remove the inner plate,off the back of a large,Chubb safe door.

It was secured with thirty+,countersunk,slotted screws,and they were seized proper. Drilling,warming and a centre punch,were not removing them...

I could sense an "unease" between the grumpy foreman,and his padawan...and when the former,sped off to find another impact driver,i wheeled the small shop MIG in,and showed the young lad how to weld a nut,and the socket,combined with the heat,had em' flying out.

The foreman returned,and the lad looked to me for an answer,which was "That lad of yours had an idea...hes' all over it..."

The foreman slunk off,Hilka impact in hand...the lad said "Thanks pal...that's proper done 'im"

Anyway...i'll get back to the sun-lounge...that jigsaw won't do itself...

.........Anyway...i'll get back to the sun-lounge...that jigsaw won't do itself...
I have a 2000 piece jigsaw at my holiday house that's been an ongoing project for 2 years already. Looks something like this;

images.jpeg

...Very relaxing...i fancy myself as a puzzle buff,but my 13 year old can do two Rubiks cubes in less than 1 minute 20...so it seems my reign is over :frown2:

...Collecting his smalls and depositing them in the wash-basket,however,is proving more taxing...

i can do rubik cube in 30 seconds, but it does involve the use of a hammer.

Reply to Felt stupid but we are always learning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net