Discuss Finishing Apprenticeship, what next? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, over the past few years I have been doing electrical courses in college and now I'm completing my apprenticeship I am wondering what I can do next.

I have:
City and guilds 2357 NVQ Level 3 Apprenticeship
City and guilds 2397 Initial verification
City and guilds 2382 17th Edition
NET AM2 Assessment of electrotechnical occupational competence.
City and guilds 2330 (Level 2)

I'm told I can do the AAC, Advanced Assessment of Competence (Welcome to National Electrotechnical Training Ltd | About_Net - http://www.netservices.org.uk/aac/) 2 years after I took my AM2, however I want to know what else I can do in the meantime.

Any advice would be appreciated.

what about 2394/5? most employers want you to have this and it would also make you eligible for approved grading. If you gained approved grading there wouldn't be much point in doing the AAC.

When I completed my AM2 they advised me that it would be cheaper and better to take the AAC as opposed to the 2394/5 due to the cost of taking those.

It's £396 INC VAT for the ACC. but I am unsure if with the ACC, I'm allowed to test other people's work.

Are there any other benefits in doing the 2394/5 compared with the ACC?

When I completed my AM2 they advised me that it would be cheaper and better to take the AAC as opposed to the 2394/5 due to the cost of taking those.

It's £396 INC VAT for the ACC. but I am unsure if with the ACC, I'm allowed to test other people's work.

Are there any other benefits in doing the 2394/5 compared with the ACC?

It would make you more employable having the 2394/5 over the ACC. You only need to look at job adverts.....the ones on the better end of the pay scale say 2394/5 etc

Is there a time limit on when i can take the 2394/5, for instance you can't take the AAC until 2 years passed since the AM2.

If not I will probably go the 2394/5 route then as I can do them sooner :)

Okay, I will most likely do that next year sometime. Once I have completed those, is there anything else I can do exam wise or is that it?

I Love learning new things hence I want to know what else I can do to further my knowledge / qualifications.

That's more what I'm talking about :)

We covered some designing in the apprenticeship but I assume this goes into a lot more detail for bigger projects.

Hi Jamie - seeing your other interests perhaps look up CCNP. Cheers, David.

This is something I think I would enjoy doing, I have done some basic networking and switch setups in the past, however this is something my local college doesn't support so I will need to look into where I can do this.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

You seem to have missed a qualification off of your list, the engineering degree which gives you the right to call yourself an engineer as per your member profile.

As it happens I do have a diploma in engineering but I see your point I will change it

Finishing Apprenticeship, what next? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Really kind of depends on what position you'd like to be in- on the tools or at a desk designing big projects?

I'd also have to agree with 2394/2395 especially for employability! :)

Really kind of depends on what position you'd like to be in- on the tools or at a desk designing big projects?

I'd also have to agree with 2394/2395 especially for employability! :)

Short term I would like to be on the tools for a good few years, get some more experience on the job. Once I have the experience I would love to design big installations, but not full time. I hate the thought of being stuck behind a desk. Maybe time will change that hahah

As for the 2394/5 Yes I'm going to be doing that next year.

Good man, just remember to revise!

So many people swan into the exams thinking it will be a breeze and fail, waste of time and money!

Good man, just remember to revise!

So many people swan into the exams thinking it will be a breeze and fail, waste of time and money!

Are they open book?

To this day, the only exam I have failed is my driving test for hitting the kerb. I always revise :)

No they aren't open book mate. The EAL equivalents of the 2394/5 are open book and still level 3 qualifications but aren't as widely recognised as the C&G.

There are plenty of old threads about those two exams anyway if you want to read up.

Good luck!

My Local college has just started teaching the 2394/5 and you can take the exam there :) saves me a journey.

But I'm going to miss the deadline to enroll due to not having my certificates yet :/

Reply to Finishing Apprenticeship, what next? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock