Discuss Fitting a light... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

heather2008

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem fitting a ceiling light and the wiring is really confusing me, can anyone help me?

Most lights I've fitted have one or two brown and blue wires coming from the ceiling (along with the earths) and I put both together into the light fitting. This light has four grey cables:

3 have: 1x earth 1x blue 1x brown
1 has: 1x earth 1x grey 1x black

What am I supposed to wire the grey and black to?

I've tried every combination but it doesn't seem to work! With the blue and brown wired in normally the light goes on and stays on when I try to switch it off! Should I wire the random grey cable into it somehow? I'm wiring the four wires into a connection box then having a single wire coming from that to the light as it's easier to work with.

Many thanks,

Heather

Normally in the light fitting you have 4 connector strips. One has three terminals for the lives (live in, live out to next fitting on the radial, live out to switch), the next has three terminals (neutral in, neutral out to next fitting on the radial, neutral to bulb holder), the next after that also has three terminals (earth in, earth out to next fitting on the radial, earth to switch) and the final connector strip has two terminals (switched live from switch, and live feed to bulb holder).

If you have four flat, grey twin & earth cables, then I'd imagine that one is the supply in, two are supplies back out feeding other light fittings, and the one with grey and black is the cable to the switch, one being used as the live and the other the switched live which feeds the bulb holder.

I'd check by taking the switch off the wall and ensuring you have the black and grey conductors going there. Remember to work with the mains off, even when checking the light switch. If you're still unsure, I'd advise getting someone in to do it. Not worth taking risks.

thanks for the reply,

i've had a look behind the switch and there's just one black and one brown wire connected to it (the brown goes into the switch next to it, then the brown wire from that switch goes into the wall and to the external light (does that make sense?!). so there's no grey wire to the switch that controls the problem light.
i'm sorry but i'm not technically minded enough to fully understand everything you put in the reply, i followed most of it though!
after re-reading my post i've made a mistake in my description-
from the ceiling is 4 cables- three of the cables have 3 wires, the normal green/yellow, brown and blue. the other cable has four wires- green/yellow, brown, grey and black.
at the moment, what i've tried, is all 3 blue wires into one connector strip and the 4 brown into another one with all 4 earths connected to each other and taped up. that leaves the black and grey doing nothing but dangling there! like i said this combination works but i can't turn the light off!
any ideas what combination of wires in which holes will work?!
thanks again,

heather

the 3 core+ earth sounds like its running an extractor fan , tape this up safely , deal with that when your lights are on .

now you have 3 twin and earths , one of these will be a switch wire , did any of the blue cables have brown or red tape on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks alot for the help, i really appreciate it.
there is an extractor fan in the bathroom, this light is in the hallway so it could be that yes.
sorry i don't understand what you mean by core and twin - is the twins the blue and brown wires? and the core grey and black? apologies about making as basic as refering to them as colours...!
no, none of the wires had brown or red tape on them. the black wire had a black sleeve on it, or may have been the grey wire.
heather

ps...
"the 3 core+ earth sounds like its running an extractor fan , tape this up safely , deal with that when your lights are on"
so the cable with grey, black, brown and earth should just be taped up and not wired into the light fitting at all?

kfordhunter - that's not going to happen, this light has made this personal and it will not defeat me...

good advice luke, i've started again. i'm assuming that one of the brown wires is the switch live, and i think i've found which one it is. what do i do with this now i've located it? how does it get wired into the fitting?

thanks again guys,

heather

Heather, the best advice you’ve had is from kfordhunter, I should pay heed to it.

Luke, you’ve taught Heather to identify the switch line, now what? I assume you are going to take her through the procedure for fitting the light. Ok, are you going to teach her how to test the earths that are obviously there to confirm that they are actually connected to the met. Are you going to take her through the relevant tests to establish Zs and every thing else that goes with such a simple job. I see also that she will be reconnecting a fan that is fitted in a special location. General advice is fine but to take an unqualified person step by step through an admittedly simple procedure like changing a light fitting is a little bit risky to say the least.

What part of the country are you in Heather? I have an unpaid week off work , if you're local I might be able to help. I am so bored! Please don't do it yourself without at least understanding what each cable is doing

hello heather.If you are still determined to sort this out yourself--to me it sounds
like,as at your switch you have a brown wire and a black wire,this 3core+earth(cores refers to the number of cables inside the outer cover of the grey cable)is your live to switch and return to lightfitting,to bring your light on when then switch is on.So your black wire would then be the switched live and should be connected to the brown wire on the light fitting.If you look closely at the cable at the switch you will probably
see that the inner core grey wire has been cut off and is not being used at all,so at the ceiling position,this grey should be taped up out of harms way. Now this brings me to another concern.Your light fitting is in the hall,is it the only light in the hall or is there one that is supposed to come on at the same time.(If there is two lights on the same switch one of these brown wires could be a 'loop switch wire")So initially
I would connect the browns together.,the blues together,earths together.Let us know what happens.

hello heather.If you are still determined to sort this out yourself--to me it sounds
like,as at your switch you have a brown wire and a black wire,this 3core+earth(cores refers to the number of cables inside the outer cover of the grey cable)is your live to switch and return to lightfitting,to bring your light on when then switch is on.So your black wire would then be the switched live and should be connected to the brown wire on the light fitting.If you look closely at the cable at the switch you will probably
see that the inner core grey wire has been cut off and is not being used at all,so at the ceiling position,this grey should be taped up out of harms way. Now this brings me to another concern.Your light fitting is in the hall,is it the only light in the hall or is there one that is supposed to come on at the same time.(If there is two lights on the same switch one of these brown wires could be a 'loop switch wire")So initially
I would connect the browns together.,the blues together,earths together.Let us know what happens.

Think you have this wrong mate , the poster has said there is one cable with 3 cores and earth , not mentioned a core being cut out.. the 3 core will be running the toilet extractor , the 3 twin an earths in new colours will be loop in loop out and switch wire.

not trying to catch you out as you obviously know your stuff , this is just the way i see it.....

cheers

ste

Think you have this wrong mate , the poster has said there is one cable with 3 cores and earth , not mentioned a core being cut out.. the 3 core will be running the toilet extractor , the 3 twin an earths in new colours will be loop in loop out and switch wire.

not trying to catch you out as you obviously know your stuff , this is just the way i see it.....

cheers

ste
not a problem ste,but how do you account for the black wire at the switch?There was by the way a mention that the grey wire may have been taped up at the ceiling. I recon the extractor fan is a red herring.And anyway to drift off here a bit why don't they give us a blue in
a 3core+earth,some sparks tape up the grey core with blue to sygnify neutral while others tape up the black with blue tape.This can lead to problems following behind another spark who has done one bit of the job,and someone else comes along perhaps a week or two later after the builder has got round to cutting out the hole in the wall for the fan.

come on everyone you should all say call an electrician no one even said anything about safely isolating the circuit how can you all advise incompetant people on how to do our job we are supposed to be against cowboys and diy ^ers , just hope this person didnt end up getting a shock or done a bad connection causing the wires to burn out or worse.

come on everyone you should all say call an electrician no one even said anything about safely isolating the circuit how can you all advise incompetant people on how to do our job we are supposed to be against cowboys and diy ^ers , just hope this person didnt end up getting a shock or done a bad connection causing the wires to burn out or worse.

Quite right...call an electrician.....But then I supose we could say that about 90% of the posts on this forum......call an electrician.And don't forget to get us to come out and certify your mess,no chance! These people can also read books and I don't think if we just advise them to get an electrician every time,that it will stop them tinkering and blowing themselves up....
red to black and blue to fuk!:eek:

Reply to Fitting a light... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock