Discuss Fitting tracker to vehicle. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I get what you're saying, but am I wrong in saying that there should be a wire (potentially a 12v supply) going from somewhere like the fuse box or ignition that then that switches live when the ignition button is pressed and goes ? Does this simplified example undtrue now?

I get what you're saying, but am I wrong in saying that there should be a wire (potentially a 12v supply) going from somewhere like the fuse box or ignition that then that switches live when the ignition button is pressed and goes ? Does this simplified example undtrue now?

As people have said above, things aren't usually that simple now. There may be a simple 12V line you could break into, but I certainly wouldn't risk it, and I've dabbled quite a lot with auto electrics over the years.

Ok there will be a input or output probably from or to a Can Controller that operates the ignition / starter. If you are that pigheaded that you want to carry on doing it against the advice given, then your starting point would be to get hold of a wiring diagram

I'm assuming from the "push button start" comment your vehicle has keyless entry and or ignition if so I would be more concerned in securing the OBD port to prevent thieves being able to program a new key / fob

You would be more likely to get the info your after on babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum - http://babyrr.com/forum/ this is a forum that is dedicated to the evoque if you can't get your answer there the other forums in this Land Rover group have some very knowledgeable guys so you could also try Disco4.com or fullfatrr.com

Just to add , if you just upset the function of just one sensor, depending on it's function could have a knock on effect of the control system of it's interdependent process. At best , putting your vehicle into limp mode.
At worst a complete progressive shut down of the canbus system.
An extreme; on a car like yours there are sophisticated steering and braking controls that are interconnected, and the equipment you have will be of no use to you if you upset this function.
Thousands of pounds worth of diagnostic equipment is required to work on vehicles like this , some of it only available to the manufacturer.
The regulation is that vehicles have to have an OBD port , but manufacturers do not have to furnish full information . Dealerships usually will only have this equipment , and that is a very expensive visit.
Take the advice and spend a few quid , just in case. :)

to quote UNG...

Also to complicate things further most of the recent Land Rovers I have worked on have 2 canbus systems

simple... 1 for when it works, and 1 for when it won't go.

My theory on this (and I do understand that things would have advanced drastically since the day of my installs when I was younger) but my theory was if I put the relay on the same line as the fuse to the starter motor... then that line surely has been designed to accept that it may be switched off in case the fuse fails. You then replace the fuse and all works again (after diagnosing why it blew obviously but say it was a random surge and all ok).

(genuine question -->) How is putting a relay on that very same wire any different to the fuse being blown and being replaced? If a fuse blows, it don't (usually) mess up the whole CAN does it?

Just to add , if you just upset the function of just one sensor, depending on it's function could have a knock on effect of the control system of it's interdependent process. At best , putting your vehicle into limp mode.
At worst a complete progressive shut down of the canbus system.
An extreme; on a car like yours there are sophisticated steering and braking controls that are interconnected, and the equipment you have will be of no use to you if you upset this function.
Thousands of pounds worth of diagnostic equipment is required to work on vehicles like this , some of it only available to the manufacturer.
The regulation is that vehicles have to have an OBD port , but manufacturers do not have to furnish full information . Dealerships usually will only have this equipment , and that is a very expensive visit.
Take the advice and spend a few quid , just in case. :)
I don't understand why it would be messing any sensors up, I would only be installing a relay inline with the starter motor power wire. ??

Let me word it differently. If I go outside now and take the starter motor fuse out from under the bonnet and try and start the car, is the whole car going to go into melt down? (another genuine Q before I go and try it. :rolleyes:)

Let me word it differently. If I go outside now and take the starter motor fuse out from under the bonnet and try and start the car, is the whole car going to go into melt down? (another genuine Q before I go and try it. :rolleyes:)

Is there a fuse purely for the starter motor?

I personally would use the advice given previously and try the range rover forum. Much more chance of getting an answer on there.

Do let us know - would be interesting to see if it is do-able or not.

Is there a fuse purely for the starter motor?

Yeah. Under the bonnet. Thats why I'm thinking it should be as easy and chopping into that positive wire and putting the relay there as it shouldn't mess with anything.

Ok I'll try those, but just thought they would be mainly owners rather than tech experts.

Yeah. Under the bonnet. Thats why I'm thinking it should be as easy and chopping into that positive wire and putting the relay there as it shouldn't mess with anything.

Ok I'll try those, but just thought they would be mainly owners rather than tech experts.

A few years ago I'd have just given it a try, but I'd be more cautious these days. You'll find a lot of technical info on some of the car forums - give them a try.

Be interested to know the outcome.

I'm assuming from the "push button start" comment your vehicle has keyless entry and or ignition if so I would be more concerned in securing the OBD port to prevent thieves being able to program a new key / fob

Yeah it is. I couldn't see the ODB when I looked briefly but will keep going. Thats why I want this start motor relay cut out because then even if they program a new key, it won't start because I can disable it independently from the cars computers.

It will definitely have an ODB port. Almost certainly under the dashboard near the steering wheel I would have thought.

Yeah it is. I couldn't see the ODB when I looked briefly but will keep going. Thats why I want this start motor relay cut out because then even if they program a new key, it won't start because I can disable it independently from the cars computers.

Does this vehicle have the stop / start function when stopped in traffic

What I'm thinking now is connecting the relay to the start button. The button has 4 wires (from what I saw on the web) Of which I am assuming are:
1. +'ve for the internal LED
2. -'ve for the internal LED
3. +'ve waiting to be used to send signal
4. the switched live that gets pulsed when the button is pushed.

Wire 4 only has two states, on and off so having a relay in there which is turned off is no different to the button not being pushed. It will just block the current/signal to the computer telling it to start the engine.

Thoughts?

What I'm thinking now is connecting the relay to the start button. The button has 4 wires (from what I saw on the web) Of which I am assuming are:
1. +'ve for the internal LED
2. -'ve for the internal LED
3. +'ve waiting to be used to send signal
4. the switched live that gets pulsed when the button is pushed.

Wire 4 only has two states, on and off so having a relay in there which is turned off is no different to the button not being pushed. It will just block the current/signal to the computer telling it to start the engine.

Thoughts?
Nope. That’s wrong. I’ve revised my thinking.
1. 12v +
2. GND
3. ACC line
4. Starter line

No it don't. Which I think would have been better because it meant that if it got stolen, the first time it stopped it wouldn't turn back on again

This demonstrates how shallow your knowledge is of vehicles using this technology, until you manually stop the engine it remains active

This demonstrates how shallow your knowledge is of vehicles using this technology, until you manually stop the engine it remains active
I don’t know what “remains active” is supposed to mean, or what effect it would have.
What I do know, is you need to tone it down.
The OP has asked for advice.
If you don’t want to give any, then don’t.
There’s no need to be insulting.

Reply to Fitting tracker to vehicle. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock