Discuss Flickering Lights when appliance starts/runs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Average house in California, 1400 square feet, totally rebuilt 14 years ago.
Turn on some appliance and watch all the lights in the house flicker; happens with washer, dryer, furnace, disposer, etc.

Check the voltage in the plugs and instead of 120 VAC, I get 104 Volts or 136 Volts, sometimes in the same room.

Any idea where/how to start the troubleshoot?

Average house in California, 1400 square feet, totally rebuilt 14 years ago.
Turn on some appliance and watch all the lights in the house flicker; happens with washer, dryer, furnace, disposer, etc.

Check the voltage in the plugs and instead of 120 VAC, I get 104 Volts or 136 Volts, sometimes in the same room.

Any idea where/how to start the troubleshoot?
Neutral wire in the incoming panel was just resting in the attachment piece, no through bolt holding it.
Worked adequately for 14 years until we installed a heavy duty washer/dryer; started to notice flickering lights.

Disappointed in the original electrician, but I guess nobody's perfect.

Happy with service from PGE; even went beyond and renewed the connections on the other two main wires, nice work!

Electrical works fine without flickering, and downstairs furnace came back alive, too!

Cheers!

Neutral wire in the incoming panel was just resting in the attachment piece, no through bolt holding it.
Worked adequately for 14 years until we installed a heavy duty washer/dryer; started to notice flickering lights.

Disappointed in the original electrician, but I guess nobody's perfect.

Happy with service from PGE; even went beyond and renewed the connections on the other two main wires, nice work!

Electrical works fine without flickering, and downstairs furnace came back alive, too!

Cheers!

Nice. Thanks for letting us know. And you have a safer installation now.

Reply to Flickering Lights when appliance starts/runs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net