Discuss Fluke or megger in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

keniff

-
Reaction score
Due to megger going downhill recently with their mft testers I'm thinking of going for the new fluke, any one have one? I'm looking at the 1654b

Both testers have their benefits.

The megger's auto continuity is very good, but the Zref and R1 & R2 dials on the new 1720 and 1730 are shameful.
The fluke is the more popular all rounder lately, however the noise they make under continuity testing annoys the hell out of me.

lol. i found nulling a fluke a nightmare. maybe get the hang of it after a while , but while i used one . i wanted to throw the damn thing

Don't be too prejudiced against Megger 17xx and 18xx series MFTs. Providing you ignore the dubious value of Zref, R1+R2 and two wire loop testing, the release of firmware version 2.01 appears to be stable and have the MFTs working the way they should have done at their release a year ago. Any further updates to the firmware should only be the occasional optimisation tweaks from now on; time will tell.

lol. i found nulling a fluke a nightmare. maybe get the hang of it after a while , but while i used one . i wanted to throw the damn thing
Lol. have had two flukes. Imho No problem null for me so long as the batteries and leads are ok.

from what i have heard ( might be wrong) with the fluke you have to null the leads for Z testing. you don't with the megger. only for continuity ( or you can subtract the lead res. from the reading.). only used a fluke once. didn't like it. good old megger for me every time.

My Robins are still going strong, bought a Megger for myself (for my birthday!) in May this year as got fed up of having three instruments all with different calibration dates! Not looked back really. Used a few Flukes over the years too, they were fine, but have heard that the newer ones are a bit dicky.

not sure what fluke i was using . but someone told me that they can be nulled in a negative. eg; - 10 . will actually show 0 for an obviously higher cable.

Don't be too prejudiced against Megger 17xx and 18xx series MFTs. Providing you ignore the dubious value of Zref, R1+R2 and two wire loop testing, the release of firmware version 2.01 appears to be stable and have the MFTs working the way they should have done at their release a year ago. Any further updates to the firmware should only be the occasional optimisation tweaks from now on; time will tell.

I dislike the "we've used the testing budget, its tested enough, release it" mentality (not just with meters, but in all walks of life).

How did a pinball game & a flight simulator ever get allowed to be embedded in every copy of Word97?

Same reason the new megger meters weren't very good at first. Crap testing.

Maybe they are ok now the next year will tell ( of Sparks doing the testing, again).

- - - Updated - - -

Ps i have a Megger. 1552.

Both testers have their benefits.

The megger's auto continuity is very good, but the Zref and R1 & R2 dials on the new 1720 and 1730 are shameful.
The fluke is the more popular all rounder lately, however the noise they make under continuity testing annoys the hell out of me.

on the fluke, if you press the power button and the light button together, it allows you to switch off the annoying continuity bleep

I have the fluke 1652b excellent piece of kit, easy to use a reliable, i did purchase the rechargeable battery, i was very tempted to purchase the new megger, after the poor reviews decided not to bother.

Reply to Fluke or megger in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock