Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Fluke or megger in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

keniff

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Due to megger going downhill recently with their mft testers I'm thinking of going for the new fluke, any one have one? I'm looking at the 1654b

D

daiplayer

we had fluke in college : swore never to touch one ever again.

widdler

-
Mentor
Arms
Both testers have their benefits.

The megger's auto continuity is very good, but the Zref and R1 & R2 dials on the new 1720 and 1730 are shameful.
The fluke is the more popular all rounder lately, however the noise they make under continuity testing annoys the hell out of me.

D

daiplayer

lol. i found nulling a fluke a nightmare. maybe get the hang of it after a while , but while i used one . i wanted to throw the damn thing

M

MarkieSparkie

Don't be too prejudiced against Megger 17xx and 18xx series MFTs. Providing you ignore the dubious value of Zref, R1+R2 and two wire loop testing, the release of firmware version 2.01 appears to be stable and have the MFTs working the way they should have done at their release a year ago. Any further updates to the firmware should only be the occasional optimisation tweaks from now on; time will tell.

DaveyD

-
Arms
lol. i found nulling a fluke a nightmare. maybe get the hang of it after a while , but while i used one . i wanted to throw the damn thing
Lol. have had two flukes. Imho No problem null for me so long as the batteries and leads are ok.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
from what i have heard ( might be wrong) with the fluke you have to null the leads for Z testing. you don't with the megger. only for continuity ( or you can subtract the lead res. from the reading.). only used a fluke once. didn't like it. good old megger for me every time.

kingeri

-
Arms
My Robins are still going strong, bought a Megger for myself (for my birthday!) in May this year as got fed up of having three instruments all with different calibration dates! Not looked back really. Used a few Flukes over the years too, they were fine, but have heard that the newer ones are a bit dicky.

D

daiplayer

not sure what fluke i was using . but someone told me that they can be nulled in a negative. eg; - 10 . will actually show 0 for an obviously higher cable.

widdler

-
Mentor
Arms
Do you mean the beep if under 2 ohms? If so you can turn this off
I cant, as a training provider. It was considered as "confusing" by the C&G EV to personalise the settings of the equipment.

:mad2:

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Megger for me. Have used fluke and kewtech as well (nothing against them in particular).

S

SPARTYKUS

Don't be too prejudiced against Megger 17xx and 18xx series MFTs. Providing you ignore the dubious value of Zref, R1+R2 and two wire loop testing, the release of firmware version 2.01 appears to be stable and have the MFTs working the way they should have done at their release a year ago. Any further updates to the firmware should only be the occasional optimisation tweaks from now on; time will tell.
I dislike the "we've used the testing budget, its tested enough, release it" mentality (not just with meters, but in all walks of life).

How did a pinball game & a flight simulator ever get allowed to be embedded in every copy of Word97?

Same reason the new megger meters weren't very good at first. Crap testing.

Maybe they are ok now the next year will tell ( of Sparks doing the testing, again).

- - - Updated - - -

Ps i have a Megger. 1552.

Both testers have their benefits.

The megger's auto continuity is very good, but the Zref and R1 & R2 dials on the new 1720 and 1730 are shameful.
The fluke is the more popular all rounder lately, however the noise they make under continuity testing annoys the hell out of me.
on the fluke, if you press the power button and the light button together, it allows you to switch off the annoying continuity bleep

fluke every time for me. used a meggar, couldnt get used to it.

soulman

-
Arms
I have the fluke 1652b excellent piece of kit, easy to use a reliable, i did purchase the rechargeable battery, i was very tempted to purchase the new megger, after the poor reviews decided not to bother.

imago

-
Arms
Esteemed
Fluke for me too. I've never had a problem nulling it? It only needs doing when the batteries are changed.

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Had my trusty Megger MFT 1502 since 2005, still going strong.

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Fluke or megger in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Top Bottom