Discuss Fluke T150 any one got one any good in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Diver233

-
Arms
Reaction score
i sean to be in a minority on this site for using Fluke meters, but has anyone got/ used the Fluke T150?.
What they like good and bad especially in comparison to others

I have a T150, recently replaced under their product recall. I actually preferred the older version, or at least I did until it failed as per the recall :)

I use it a lot for basic fault finding and checks, and the obvious safe isolation.

Can't comment on how they compare to others as I've only ever used a T150 as my AVI, apart from a brief spell using a Socket and See AVI which just seemed flimsy by comparison and certainly didn't have such a stout interconnect cable.

I have a T150, recently replaced under their product recall. I actually preferred the older version, or at least I did until it failed as per the recall :)

I use it a lot for basic fault finding and checks, and the obvious safe isolation.

Can't comment on how they compare to others as I've only ever used a T150 as my AVI, apart from a brief spell using a Socket and See AVI which just seemed flimsy by comparison and certainly didn't have such a stout interconnect cable.

What’s different to the old one ?

The basis of the recall was an issue around the strain relief where the cable entered the probe/main unit. The cable could break resulting in intermittent contact, so it was entirely possible to prove the unit and have it work, test for safe isolation and have it show it's safe and then prove it and have it work... all due to how the cable was hanging/sitting... narrowly avoided contact with a live circuit myself when it failed.

So, to stop this they redesigned the cable support where it enters the probes and the cable seems a bit longer, I guess to reduce possible strain.

But, the cable now seems too long and the moulded clip/slot that allows you to clip the probe to the main unit seems too big in that they now fall apart and don't stay together. I would frequently clip them together and hang it round my neck so it was handy, now they come apart and it eventually slips off and because the cable is longer it seems to get in the way quite a bit.

Feature wise they are identical and I have absolutely no complaints.

Thank you, knowing what you know would you still buy one ?.
I’m thinking of getting one

Absolutely, yes. I can live with the niggles.

The feature set is handy... take the RCD trip feature for example... you're at a remote socket which is on a circuit that isn't identified. Trip the RCD using the tester, but it also comes in handy when you think you may have a voltage present... say you test between L and E and get say 85v on a circuit that should be dead. Press the RCD trip buttons and the load it places on the probes (it effectively drops the input impedance right down) will dump the voltage if it's induced through say capacitive or inductive coupling in the cable runs. If the voltage doesn't disappear with the RCD trip buttons pressed you know there is an issue that requires further investigation.

Yes these features are available in other manufacturers products, but MFTs aside (I don't like the Flukes due to the number of button pushes required) I've used quite a bit of Fluke gear and always found it to be top notch. Reliable, well built. It is my preference for test gear, when budget allows :)

Glad to here it
Must admit after asking what everyone used on here and most saying meggar I did think have I cocked yo treating myself to the Fluke 1664FC.
But getting used to it and loving it

Like any other tool, choice of test gear is quite subjective. Personally I hate Kewtech MFTs with a passion, largely because it was the singular cause of most of my stress during my AM2. I don't like Fluke because of their reliance on lots of menus vs. my Megger which in most cases requires me to turn one switch.

I like CK Dextro drivers, Knipex pliers and cutters, Bosch blue power tools, Stanley Fatmax Organisers and DeWalt storage boxes :)

This thread started off on the Fluke T150 in particular...
I have one, a new one following the recent recall, which they dealt with efficiently and promptly in my case.

It is a nice bit of kit. I use it almost exclusively for proving dead, the resistance/continuity features are useful enough, and the RCD trip function is pretty useful too.

For proving dead, it is fast and easy...ideal for my limited scope, and I am very pleased with it. Hanging round my neck...hmm, not for me.

As for other gear, as an aside, I have recently ventured into network stuff, and got a Klein Tools cat5/cat6 pass-through crimper for RJ45 modulars and it is absolutely brilliant! I just need to get some really good spectacles so I can align those 8 wires...

This thread started off on the Fluke T150 in particular...
I have one, a new one following the recent recall, which they dealt with efficiently and promptly in my case.

It is a nice bit of kit. I use it almost exclusively for proving dead, the resistance/continuity features are useful enough, and the RCD trip function is pretty useful too.

For proving dead, it is fast and easy...ideal for my limited scope, and I am very pleased with it. Hanging round my neck...hmm, not for me.

As for other gear, as an aside, I have recently ventured into network stuff, and got a Klein Tools cat5/cat6 pass-through crimper for RJ45 modulars and it is absolutely brilliant! I just need to get some really good spectacles so I can align those 8 wires...

Use the EZ Pass Through Connectors a lot easier to terminate than the standard ends.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Platinum-C...e=UTF8&qid=1553122590&sr=8-7&keywords=ez+rj45

Curious.
When fluke replaced your T150 did you have to prove the original invoice/ receipt ?.
Reason I am asking is I have the chance to buy a second hand one fairly cheap (but not that cheap) but my fear is if it develops the fault will Fluke replace it (if you see what I mean).

All you had to do was provide the serial number, model number and your address. They generated a shipping label and I just dropped it off at a local UPS drop off point.

I would ask to see a picture of the rear plate showing the serial number and if it falls into the recall, don't bother. If you rely on having it for safe isolation, you'll need to buy a second one for the period when it's being shipped/replaced.

Curious.
When fluke replaced your T150 did you have to prove the original invoice/ receipt ?.
Reason I am asking is I have the chance to buy a second hand one fairly cheap (but not that cheap) but my fear is if it develops the fault will Fluke replace it (if you see what I mean).

Here are the recall numbers to look out for

Important Voluntary Recall Information Regarding Fluke T110, T130 and T150 Two-Pole Voltage Testers - Rest of Europe - https://www.fluke.com/en/support/safety-notices/tpt-recall-r0en

Curious.
All you had to do was provide the serial number, model number and your address. They generated a shipping label and I just dropped it off at a local UPS drop off point.

I would ask to see a picture of the rear plate showing the serial number and if it falls into the recall, don't bother. If you rely on having it for safe isolation, you'll need to buy a second one for the period when it's being shipped/replaced.

I have ordered one, but there’s a wait for it, just did not want to buy one that may break and not be honours because it’s second hand

Reply to Fluke T150 any one got one any good in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock