Discuss For our Quantum Physicists amongst us... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

This is all well and good lads, im totally getting what your saying......but how do you propose to explain....... Spidey sense then?! I mean, he neither "sees" nor "hears" any given event specifically, the relevant photons required to register the act as a sight or a sound may be miles away, yet somehow....he just "knows" whats going on.

I dare you fancy pants quantum physics dabblers to try and nail that one down

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I read watch and study this subject because it is absolutely fascinating
We as a species are rolling back frontiers of understanding that would be inconcievable even as late as the eighties

Its a damn shame that whilst being able to get a grasp of some of what I see and hear on the subject,its like having the proverbial black hole in my head,it drains away any understanding I imagine I had within moments of it becoming something that could be described as comprehensible to me

I am going to look at that forum, as long as there a few curtains I can hide behind whilst taking a peek :uhoh2:

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I was a little put off by the rules Des. You can't bluesky and discuss possibilites/postulate from the way I read it.

Darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Des, its when someone claims to understand Quantum Physics then i know they are lying, the hardest part about this sub-atomical world is translating it and using examples in the real world to try explain what is going on... unfortunately examples in the real world are hard to come by due to the sheer complexity and mind defying world that the quantum is.

It was the 2 slit experiment that first got me into this subject 20yrs ago and i was under the impression this was only an effect related to photons of light but a few years later found that atoms too gave similar results so even if you could relate to the experiment been what it is and light showing both particle and waveform signatures it turns out that atoms too with mass have the same results...... that hooked me ever since .... then 1999 they have found buckballs also give same results (carbon60 if i remember). Now that defy's common sense when large molecules express the same trend as a 'massless' photon.
Explain how a buckyball could be both a molecule which we can see through an electron microscope and behave like a wave to leave an interference pattern even if you sent one out it would land in pre-determined fields as though it intefered with itself.... but i dont mean the same as when my mum caught me at 13yr.......never mind ;)

Darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Think this forum needs a Nerd group setting up, i do believe we have our first 3 members lol

Job done ive created a group for our own pleasure ... join and discuss then it takes it off the main forum threads :)

You'll find it under the community tab' in groups.

Last edited:
S

Silly Sausage

The problem as I see it,I like this forum,so could I be in two places at one time ? lol

Possibly, if you were in an enclosed box...

As the cat daddy, Neils Bohr himself said, 'If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about it.' or variants thereof.

I'm going to have to re-read this thread again if I'm half awake tomorrow!

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Watched two of the Feynman lectures now, helps explain some things, but as usual raises a lot more questions (and I really don't like the introduction of probability into the model to explain light reflection). The next one is about the electron.

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I just watched the lecture and feel as though a light has been shone on the subject
He explained in terms that myself and my fellow dummies could grasp

Quite a portion of the lecture was already understood by me,but in the same breath,quite a portion more, that usually hovers above my head, was presented in a way that made it possible to get a handle on it

The universal law he stated, about no electrons in the universe can occupy the same level of charge/excitement (call it what you will)is still something I cant come to terms with,that bit will have to be explained another couple of hundred times for me to progress,but nevertheless I am taking small steps,but steps all the same

Kamikaze

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ok, I think it's time to open a huge can of worms. Using the Law of Logical Argument, Quantumquadrangulation and the analyses for sound (pressure waves if you like), the voices in my head must be oscillating pressure waves / vibrations because I can definitely hear them with my ear drums. And the frequency at which I'm receiving them must be between 20hz -20khz or I wouldn't be able to hear them. Now don't worry, these voices are pretty harmless and say things like "put her down she's not your wife and don't have another beer you're drunk". But why is it, I can't hear the whooshing sound that deadlines make as they fly by? Is it possible to have a beginning of time and an end of time without the bit in the middle? Is my boss using gravity and the warping of space-time to somehow cause a disturbance in the force? I've seen his Tardis in the back garden and fear he may be a secret Timelord or is procrastination really the thief of time?

Timelord.jpg

Lol... and on a more serious note. Des, I haven't watched the lectures but I'm assuming you're talking about the Pauli exclusion principle. It just refers to individual atoms with two or more electrons. Any theory of this applying to all electrons anywhere in the universe would in the end proved to be nothing more than science fiction. There are exciting times ahead. The finding of the Higgs is merely the appetiser. Things like predictable entangled particle communications are already a reality. It’s all good stuff and I love it!…lol

Reply to For our Quantum Physicists amongst us... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net