Discuss For our Quantum Physicists amongst us... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Des, its when someone claims to understand Quantum Physics then i know they are lying, the hardest part about this sub-atomical world is translating it and using examples in the real world to try explain what is going on... unfortunately examples in the real world are hard to come by due to the sheer complexity and mind defying world that the quantum is.

It was the 2 slit experiment that first got me into this subject 20yrs ago and i was under the impression this was only an effect related to photons of light but a few years later found that atoms too gave similar results so even if you could relate to the experiment been what it is and light showing both particle and waveform signatures it turns out that atoms too with mass have the same results...... that hooked me ever since .... then 1999 they have found buckballs also give same results (carbon60 if i remember). Now that defy's common sense when large molecules express the same trend as a 'massless' photon.
Explain how a buckyball could be both a molecule which we can see through an electron microscope and behave like a wave to leave an interference pattern even if you sent one out it would land in pre-determined fields as though it intefered with itself.... but i dont mean the same as when my mum caught me at 13yr.......never mind ;)

Think this forum needs a Nerd group setting up, i do believe we have our first 3 members lol

Job done ive created a group for our own pleasure ... join and discuss then it takes it off the main forum threads :)

You'll find it under the community tab' in groups.

Last edited:
The problem as I see it,I like this forum,so could I be in two places at one time ? lol

Possibly, if you were in an enclosed box...

As the cat daddy, Neils Bohr himself said, 'If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about it.' or variants thereof.

I'm going to have to re-read this thread again if I'm half awake tomorrow!

Watched two of the Feynman lectures now, helps explain some things, but as usual raises a lot more questions (and I really don't like the introduction of probability into the model to explain light reflection). The next one is about the electron.

I just watched the lecture and feel as though a light has been shone on the subject
He explained in terms that myself and my fellow dummies could grasp

Quite a portion of the lecture was already understood by me,but in the same breath,quite a portion more, that usually hovers above my head, was presented in a way that made it possible to get a handle on it

The universal law he stated, about no electrons in the universe can occupy the same level of charge/excitement (call it what you will)is still something I cant come to terms with,that bit will have to be explained another couple of hundred times for me to progress,but nevertheless I am taking small steps,but steps all the same

Ok, I think it's time to open a huge can of worms. Using the Law of Logical Argument, Quantumquadrangulation and the analyses for sound (pressure waves if you like), the voices in my head must be oscillating pressure waves / vibrations because I can definitely hear them with my ear drums. And the frequency at which I'm receiving them must be between 20hz -20khz or I wouldn't be able to hear them. Now don't worry, these voices are pretty harmless and say things like "put her down she's not your wife and don't have another beer you're drunk". But why is it, I can't hear the whooshing sound that deadlines make as they fly by? Is it possible to have a beginning of time and an end of time without the bit in the middle? Is my boss using gravity and the warping of space-time to somehow cause a disturbance in the force? I've seen his Tardis in the back garden and fear he may be a secret Timelord or is procrastination really the thief of time?

For our Quantum Physicists amongst us... Timelord - EletriciansForums.net

Lol... and on a more serious note. Des, I haven't watched the lectures but I'm assuming you're talking about the Pauli exclusion principle. It just refers to individual atoms with two or more electrons. Any theory of this applying to all electrons anywhere in the universe would in the end proved to be nothing more than science fiction. There are exciting times ahead. The finding of the Higgs is merely the appetiser. Things like predictable entangled particle communications are already a reality. It’s all good stuff and I love it!…lol

Kam .... watch the 'Night with the stars' i posted with brian cox towards the end, Wolfgang Pauli's exclusion principle extends to every single electron in existence and not one can occupy the same energy state as any other so if you heat an object up and exite the electrons making them jump up a state every other electron in the universe adapts and adjust to ensure Pauli's exclusion principle is obeyed.
Yes its a mind numbing thought but we see the universe in a 3 dimension massive space hungry way but their are more dimensions which tie everything to everything else.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it. I admire your conviction that you think it is true but it has no bearing on whether it is true. The theory is ambitious, implausible & technically fallible. The strength of the theory does not stand up to critical examination. It would mean the decommissioning of natural selection for starters, the very force that made us. So we will just have to agree to disagree. You may call me a sceptic. :thinking:

I dont Judge you, each to their own and regarding said topic its a quantum world which behaves well beyond our nrmal understanding so even though its concept seems inplausable, ambitious and tehnically fallible its not a strong enough argument IMHO which are words i would more liken to judging a movie script and not a world where the rules dont obey our natural understanding. Im am neither suggesting your opinions are right or wrong but with regards to the scientific world we tend to go along with the theory's and principles that show experimental traits that consistently agree with the original theory.
The thoughts of an independent atom changing its fundemantal characteristics due to a remote event is a hard concept in any sense but its happening and been used today, quantum entaglement uses similar rules and effects and although in theory distance is irrelevent it has so far been experimentally proven to work at distances of well over 100km, the uncomfortable side to this is it means one of two things with both holding the highly unlikely train of thought. 1- either the information between the particles is travelling faster than light speed. 2-Everything has a direct link to everything else regardless of distance.
Now no1 clearly violates several areas of known quantum theory and No2 would hint at a complex extra dimension we are far from near to understanding but yet experimentally its the giving predicted results. The jury is out there on this one and because violation of the speed of light would mean a total revamp of what we think we understand then favour is pushed towards the theory everything is linked and effected no matter of distance.

What about the practicality of the communication between the charged particles ?
If every charged particle was to have an effect on all others in the universe,then as far as I can imagine,the universe must be a single structure,possibly in multiple unknown dimensions in order for communication between each and every particle at the same moment in time

There has to be a prevailing theory of the general subject before thoughts on those structures or processes can be generated
Unfortunately, it's still way beyond in-comprehensive for me at this time

This is where I get lost in the wackiness of it all. It would require an infrastructure and central information processing / control unit to control the complexity of it all. All matter, not just the electrons, would have to be subject to rhythmical procedure. Solutions to paradoxes and multiple dimensional systems would have to be found. Calculations having to do with their activities would have to be projected far into the future. The four dimensions of space-time which are intimately connected together would need to be separated from the other spatial dimensions. In fact, to overcome the issue with light speed, all matter within the infrastructure would have to leave all dimensions of space-time, be reorganized into a new stable coexistence, and then entered back at other space-time coordinates. Does space-time actually exist or is it just an illusion?

Well.we know and it has been proved for a very long period,that time as we think of it is not linear

Time could be a human concept only and have no real place in the universe and its development
I sometimes think perhaps what we regard as time ,is nothing more than a measure of change

Our experience of life being the change to the structure of the relationship between all the atoms that make up our being
Most natural things seems to be cyclical,so why not the universe itself, it comes into being with the big bang.expands until it has sort of evaporated,ceased to exist and then restarts
Time being just a concept we use to measure that change and clouding our progress of understanding our existence during this particular change

So my theory in post No 9 could be right…lol

Reply to For our Quantum Physicists amongst us... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock