Discuss Fused switch question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rugbyant

Hi All,

Newbie so be kind.

House 5 years old and has gas hob and elctric oven connected to two seperate sockets (std wall sockets) which is then isolated on the wall with a seperate on of switch - not fused i dont think, just a red on and off switch.

I want to change both the hob and the cooker, well the hob to an electric too.

I have read that i cant (or should be read, shouldnt) connect straight to standard socket, but yet both currently do.

Can i connect new cooker and new electric hob the same way as old ones? Or do i have to get them connected a different way? The gas hob i will just turn valve and fit stop cap.

Many thanks in advance,

Antony

The double switch on the wall is a 45A switch - does that mean that that would be sufficient.

Im guessing the previous post would mean an electrician? What sort of cost would that be - i appreciate it would need to be looked at, but a ball park?

Hi
Is it over 3KW if so no. remember you only have a max of 13amps at a plug top.
Regards

sorry just read your reply 45amp is man enough for most cookers, just check your cooker capacity though

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked the oven and its 13 Amp - 2.98kW. Needs to be connected to 13Amp double pole switched fused outlet

Hob - 32Amp double pole switch fused outlet 7.4kW

So just at the 45Amp max.

That mean i can wire them into normal plug and use socket?

Or would you recommend getting an electrician in to wire? (cost??)

Any cooking appliance over 2kW requires its own dedicated circuit from your CU.

The hob will also requires its own supply from the CU.

I would strongly suggest you call a local competent registered who can at least advise you on the cost involved as its very difficult to 'guess' on a public forum.
:)

Hi Jason6930

I've seen the quote any cooker, ovens and hobs over 2KW, should not be connected to a ringmain. It has taken me 30mins to find this in the regs. I take back up to 3KW as these are short duration appliances. Page 362 if anyone intrested. We are here to learn and pass on what we have learnt.

Regards

Any cooking appliance over 2kW requires its own dedicated circuit from your CU.

The hob will also requires its own supply from the CU.

I would strongly suggest you call a local competent registered who can at least advise you on the cost involved as its very difficult to 'guess' on a public forum.
:)

Not correct, 2 fixed appliances can be connected to the same final circuit as long as they are both within 2m of the control switch.

With diversity taken into account on this final circuit and if the 45amp switch currently fitted is supplied with a 6mm T&E with a 40A MCB at the CU then all you need is to run a 6mm to each appliance from the control switch if they are not already 6mm and then fit a cooker faceplate to each point.

However its worth getting a spark to check that this circuit is up to the job.

As a new circuit would be required for the new oven, then i would have thought it would make sense to run one in for the hob, cost permitting of course.

But then i have never liked the idea or ever installed, two cooking appliances from one circuit.

I know its perfectly acceptable and within regs, but i just dont like like.

All IMHO.

Reply to Fused switch question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock