Discuss Fusing Fans to manufacturers spec in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nickblake

Well chaps ive been looking at the manufacturer requirements for fusing down fans ,an every one appears to require only the permernant live to be fused so having words with those nice people at scolmore click you can do it easily with the grid range that doesnt actually look like grid fuse and an isolator in the same switch brilliant thats what i say good old Click scholmoreFusing Fans to manufacturers spec GEDC0500.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Like that, saves messing around wiring in two different items.

probably less than a separate isol. and FCU when you factor in 2 back boxes, never mind the extra cutting out and time running cable.

The click stuff is one of the best thought out at the moment.
i like their grid stuff as well.even on normal plates you can swap a 2way for an intermediate easily.

I get those isolators for about 2 quid, the faceplate for about 90p and a fused unit is around 1.50.

Never thought of doing that and been using the Click mini grid for a while now.

Nice one

This may sound a silly question but how to you wire it if you're using a fan with an over run timer?

as i see it, it's a 3 pole isolator with a fuse in the permanent L.

This may sound a silly question but how to you wire it if you're using a fan with an over run timer?

According to the manufacturers instructions i have read you only need to fuse down the permernant feed and not the switch feed , so ideal in my mind ill let you know the cost

According to the manufacturers instructions i have read you only need to fuse down the permernant feed and not the switch feed , so ideal in my mind ill let you know the cost
Yep, perm live only on the ones I've seen. I've also noticed that the rule about fusing it only applies to the UK! Anyone know why we're blessed with that requirement here and no one else is?

It is a bit strange, as the whole circuit is protected at 6a. That isolator with integrated fuse on the perm live is a simple but great idea, as said saves the hassle of having to use two accessories. Why does the perm live need fusing down but not the switched live?

It is a bit strange, as the whole circuit is protected at 6a. That isolator with integrated fuse on the perm live is a simple but great idea, as said saves the hassle of having to use two accessories. Why does the perm live need fusing down but not the switched live?
They're both fused because of the way it's suggested to be fed (via the perm live). If no other countries need to add protection, then why do we? I don't believe other countries lighting is 3A to start with. I wonder if it's a misunderstanding that has been propogated across the chinese manuf plants.

Not enough 3A fuses were being sold, its a conspiracy I tell ya!!!

If they insist on 3A protection why not just provide them with one installed? Or am I thinking too much?

If they insist on 3A protection why not just provide them with one installed? Or am I thinking too much?
That's the point mate, they don't ask any other country to add a fuse (so it must be OK without that protection?).

so why don't we all bombard manrose and the like with emails asking why?

If you installed a fuse in the fan then only one of the SL or L would be fused, if you installed two fuses one in each Line then one fuse could go and still leave a live circuit on the fan. You want the fuse before the isolator. As per post #1

but the whole point of the post is that the manufacturers instructions only call for the permanent L to be fused.......is that a mistake on their part?

Reply to Fusing Fans to manufacturers spec in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock