Discuss Garage door stops working but in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hayley3

DIY
Reaction score
If I unplug it, turn circuit breaker off and then on again and THEN plug the garage door back into the outlet, it works fine for a while.

How can I troubleshoot that to figure out the problem?

Thanks!

I do have a GFCI outlet that is not working too but it's on a different circuit breaker so I'm assuming it can't affect the other outlet, but not sure. I'm gonna buy a new outlet tomorrow. :cool:

I can't advise on US electrics, but there'sa few US members that can. but welcome to the madhouse.

there'a a knowlegable guy from US named megawatt. he should be online later. thinlk he's in NC.

I do have a GFCI outlet that is not working too but it's on a different circuit breaker so I'm assuming it can't affect the other outlet, but not sure. I'm gonna buy a new outlet tomorrow. :cool:
@heyley is your garage door on a GFCI receptacle. Does it stop working while you are opening or closing?

Hi Megawatt,
The garage door is not on a GFCI receptacle. It does not stop working when being used. We go out and the garage light doesn't turn on, that's how we know I need to flip the breaker again.

Hi Megawatt,
The garage door is not on a GFCI receptacle. It does not stop working when being used. We go out and the garage light doesn't turn on, that's how we know I need to flip the breaker again.
@hayley3 Is there any more loads on that circuit and when you flip the breaker, is it actually tripped

That breaker is labeled garage door opener only. The breaker doesn't look tripped so that's why I flip it off, then flip it back on.

That breaker is labeled garage door opener only. The breaker doesn't look tripped so that's why I flip it off, then flip it back on.
If there are no other loads on that circuit just light and garage door. I’m assuming when the lights out the door won’t work either ?

The light is part of the garage door opener. So it only goes off when the garage door opener doesn't work. I probably was not too clear about that. :)
I just fixed the gfci outlet on the other wall. so that is no longer an issue and probably didn't have a thing to do with the garage door since they are listed separately on the circuit breaker panel.

The light is part of the garage door opener. So it only goes off when the garage door opener doesn't work. I probably was not too clear about that. :)
I just fixed the gfci outlet on the other wall. so that is no longer an issue and probably didn't have a thing to do with the garage door since they are listed separately on the circuit breaker panel.
Hayley the best I can tell you is you have got a loose connection in the controller but I suspect that a loose connection in the panel is your problem where the breaker is and with you flipping the breaker it makes contact again does that make since to you
[automerge]1570224706[/automerge]
Hayley the best I can tell you is you have got a loose connection in the controller but I suspect that a loose connection in the panel is your problem where the breaker is and with you flipping the breaker it makes contact again does that make since to you
I’m impressed with your knowledge about electrical

Thanks Megawatt for your help...appreciate it so much!
I live way in the country so getting an electrician is not the easiest thing to do so I have to learn to do some things myself. :)
I'll check for a loose connection first. I'll post back if I find out anything.

Thanks Megawatt for your help...appreciate it so much!
I live way in the country so getting an electrician is not the easiest thing to do so I have to learn to do some things myself. :)
I'll check for a loose connection first. I'll post back if I find out anything.
Please make sure the power is off on that panel, as long as you are doing that you might as well check all breakers and the ground bar. Good luck and please be safe

Thanks for the reminder. My house panel has a main breaker switch but the one in the garage does not so how do you turn it off then?

Thanks for the reminder. My house panel has a main breaker switch but the one in the garage does not so how do you turn it off then?
One of those breakers in your panel is feeding it will be a double breaker that’s hooked together maybe a 60 amp be carful it’s one of the double pole breakers

Reply to Garage door stops working but in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock