Discuss Garage supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently bought a house and the garage has a supply coming from the house CU via a 40amp MCB which runs into a IP66 rated 13 amp double socket in the garage, I'm almost certain the cable size is 4mm (SWA cable).

Ive just recently finished an electrical engineering apprentership and im just after some more experienced advice about this.
I want to install a new roller shutter door some led lighting along with maybe a few sockets.

I planned on removing in 13amp socket an adding another CU in the garage with a 40Amp 30mA RCD, 32amp MCB (for sockets) 6amp breaker (lighting).

Any advice on this would be more than greatful.

16 or 20 amp would normally be more than ample for a garage sockets. Most garage DBs come with 16 and 6 amp MCBs as standard.

Handy having a 40 amp supply to the garage though as this leaves options in the future for upgrades such as electric vehicle charging point.

what do you plan on running in the garage? 32 amps seems a bit excessive for occassional use out there?
Literally nothing the odd power tool, maybe a jet wash at the most and a lighting circuit
what do you plan on running in the garage? 32 amps seems a bit excessive for occassional use out there?

Not a great deal really, a garage roller door, occasionally a few poor tools and a lighting circuit (LEDs). Would you recommend putting in a smaller CU in the garage in this case then?
[automerge]1580577102[/automerge]
16 or 20 amp would normally be more than ample for a garage sockets. Most garage DBs come with 16 and 6 amp MCBs as standard.

Handy having a 40 amp supply to the garage though as this leaves options in the future for upgrades such as electric vehicle charging point.
In this case would you advise putting in a smaller Main CU at the garage end?

At the most it will be running at any given time is a roller shutter door with some LED lighting.

fit a standard garage board on the end of the 4mm ( it may be 6mm if on a 40A MCB). RCD and 1 x 20A (or 16A ) MCB and 1 x 6A MCB.

Is the garage feed protected by an RCD in the house consumer unit?

It doesn't offer any more protection than the one in the house CU.

Reply to Garage supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net