Discuss Getting 2 x 2.5mm into oval conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am continuing my practising today and am trying to get 2 x 2.5mm into oval conduit. It's not as easy as I thought it would be.

First of all I used some old cable that I had all twisted up ready to be scrapped. No way was this going to go through either the 20mm or the 25mm conduit.

I then tried some new cable so that it wasn't all bent up. This went in fairly well to both 20mm and 25mm, no real difference, but it did take some force at one or 2 points to get it through a 2m length. The whole idea is for me to speed up on a rewire, so I'm just looking for tips for getting the cable through the conduit?

1. Lubrication?
2. 20mm or 25mm?
3. Completely unbent cable?
4. Do different manufacturers have oval conduits with different internal dimensions, or are they pretty much the same?
5. Both cables in at the same time, or one at a time?

Also, I can see how oval conduit helps speed things up if you have one or 2 cables in the drop, but what if it's 3+ cables? Do you then just use a second piece of conduit, larger conduit or go back to capping? If you use a second piece of conduit isn't that going to take longer than one piece of capping?

Wouldn't a piece of trunking be a good idea in a chase? Easy and quick to screw into the chase with concrete screws and you can use 32x16mm trunking if you have lots of cables?

Cheers guys. Back to work on Thursday, so all my practise threads will stop then! ?

I am continuing my practising today and am trying to get 2 x 2.5mm into oval conduit. It's not as easy as I thought it would be.

First of all I used some old cable that I had all twisted up ready to be scrapped. No way was this going to go through either the 20mm or the 25mm conduit.

I then tried some new cable so that it wasn't all bent up. This went in fairly well to both 20mm and 25mm, no real difference, but it did take some force at one or 2 points to get it through a 2m length. The whole idea is for me to speed up on a rewire, so I'm just looking for tips for getting the cable through the conduit?

1. Lubrication?
2. 20mm or 25mm?
3. Completely unbent cable?
4. Do different manufacturers have oval conduits with different internal dimensions, or are they pretty much the same?
5. Both cables in at the same time, or one at a time?

Also, I can see how oval conduit helps speed things up if you have one or 2 cables in the drop, but what if it's 3+ cables? Do you then just use a second piece of conduit, larger conduit or go back to capping? If you use a second piece of conduit isn't that going to take longer than one piece of capping?

Wouldn't a piece of trunking be a good idea in a chase? Easy and quick to screw into the chase with concrete screws and you can use 32x16mm trunking if you have lots of cables?

Cheers guys. Back to work on Thursday, so all my practise threads will stop then! ?
@happyhippydad yes on the lubricant, yes on the wire being straight, when you say 2 mm or 2.5 mm I would have to say 2.5 mm and pull your cables in at the same time. I also pull a string in each conduit in case I missed something or need it for the future. Have a great day my friend

Not all the answers, but like @Megawatt yes to lube. Fairy liquid is good enough.
All cables in together, the friction of one cable to another is much greater than cable to the inside wall of conduit.

Push through a draw string first.... cable rods, a length of 6491x or something, and another pair of hands, One pulling, one feeding ....

If all else fails, strip off the outer sheath off t&e.
I didn’t just say that :eek:

Have not done the calculations, but is T&E outside dims larger than three single cores, they may be easier to pull through, although may make the work time longer.

Ohhh just thought two live, two neutral and one earth, much reduced c/c. ?

Doesn't Appendix E of the OSG apply to this? if it does then is not the conduit too small?
You love your appendix E Mike! ?
Using singles just isn't going to happen in a domestic situation, it would be great for conduit down the walls but an absolute nightmare to run the rest of it in conduit under floorboards etc.

You love your appendix E Mike! ?
Using singles just isn't going to happen in a domestic situation, it would be great for conduit down the walls but an absolute nightmare to run the rest of it in conduit under floorboards etc.
I think he was jesting, at least I hope he was!! Not Been indicated what size oval conduit has it?

Why I stopped using oval! In the pros -v- cons game, by the time you've threaded the stuff, sat it back in the channel, realised it's a couple of mm too long...... could have done three lots of capping.

easy to get 2 x 2.5's down a 25mm oval. and the propritry clips drilled and fixed saves bashing your fingers, or mortar crumbling when nailing capping.

Lubrication definitely helps I find - in multiple situations!

https://media.NoLinkingToThis/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/44462_P&$prodImageLarge$
This is the proper stuff, though washing up liquid works too - Can still be frustrating though gripping the end when it does come out - probably same for the cable too....?

But cheap oval conduit from Screwfix is a pig to work with I find and bends/crimps itself if not treated with care. Might be worth trying other makes from a wholesaler.

So.....

How about when you've got 3+ cables, what do you guys use? I guess the vast majority of chases have 1 or 2 cables and will fit into oval, so when you do have 3+ cables you just use capping? Or perhaps larger oval?

If your having problems getting cable into conduit -the conduit is too small. Start thinking of other ways around using 2 x 2.5, as suggested make it a spur? reduce cable size along with MCB rating? Or chase out a bit more.

Reply to Getting 2 x 2.5mm into oval conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net