Discuss Go VAT Registered from the start? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You need to make sure that what you can claim back (equipment, travel, tools, etc.) is greater than the VAT you collect by adding VAT to your Invoices. If it isn't, then you act as an unpaid tax collector for the VAT people. Obviously, once you reach a certain turnover, you have to become registered anyway. My advice is to check carefully before taking the leap!

Hi

Another point many people like to consider, is how much of there business is commercial or domestic. Obviously if you are mostly dealing with businesses, they like to claim the VAT back so being VAt registered is an advantage!

Many Thanks

Leo

Talking to a girl who is self employed hairdresser and visits peoples houses to cut their hair said that you need to be earning over £65,000 per year before you can be VAT registered.:eek:

You can register for VAT at any time if you want, if you go past the £65000 turnover point then it becomes compulsary.

As Leo pointed out, it depends who your cusomers are. If its domestic and you are Vat registered, then you are 17.5% more expensive than someone who is not, as Joe Bloggs cannot claim Vat back.
However, if your customers are commercial an themselves Vat registered and you are not, then they cannot claim back the Vat on the materials, now making you 17.5% dearer than someone who IS Vat registered

The result is, (as I found) commercial customers will then want to supply their own materials, and bang goes your profit margin on the bits, and as my work is all commercial, I registered.

You can of course unregister again.

It realy depends on the sort of work you do.

Another note worth mentioning is if you hate paperwork (as most of us do) get a book-keeper to lookafter your Vat returns (and books). It is worth it in the long run.

Reply to Go VAT Registered from the start? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock