Discuss Good crimp/ferrule set in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm starting to use crimps and ferrules more and more and I think I need to invest in a good kit. It's a mindfield. Been on RS and some of the good kits are massively expensive.

What's everyone else using? Best to buy the bits and crimper separately and buikd your own box or buy a set?

I have lots of bits but they are all varied types and qualities (Xmas presents from relatives so probably cheapest available from Amazon/eBay)

Did my 18th edition update last week and during one of the more general discussions, we were told to C2 crimps on solid conductors unless they were done with the type of crimper that make the indents ie unless they were done with a crimper and crimps designed specifically for solid conductors

The crimps you use for solid or stranded are different therefore require different crimpers.

I'm starting to use crimps and ferrules more and more and I think I need to invest in a good kit. It's a mindfield. Been on RS and some of the good kits are massively expensive.

What's everyone else using? Best to buy the bits and crimper separately and buikd your own box or buy a set?

I have lots of bits but they are all varied types and qualities (Xmas presents from relatives so probably cheapest available from Amazon/eBay)
This is the crimping tool that I use )for 0.5mm - 6mm cable) https://uk.farnell.com/ck-tools/430...991&CATCI=pla-299908740651&CAAGID=14406255429
I find it very good. I used a friends cheaper crimping tool and I could pull the crimps apart. With my CK crimping tool I tested it in the shed by holding the crimped cable in a vice and pulling as hard as I could and it didn't budge. I also left the cable for a few months and tried again... with the 1mm joints I could 'sometimes' (1 out of 3) pull them apart by using most of my body weight whilst pulling but the 2.5mm and 6mm didn't break.

It did make a big difference if the crimping joint was not done properly. I.e having the crimp in the correct position in the crimping tool (end of the crimp flush with the tool for 1mm and 2.5mm crimps and the crimp slightly inside the tool for 6mm crimps) and also having both sides of the crimp done at the same level, i.e a flat crimp rather than at right angles.

I have also bought a hex crimping tool for 6mm - 50mm joins. I use this for any (rare) 6mm crimps as I think it's better than even a good quality indent crimp.

The difference between the two schemes is the colours used to identify size. The reality is though as far as I'm aware, most sizes are available in the various colours, but the scheme's make it easy to identify size.

Last edited:
I think the colours are handy if you don't keep them stored by size.

The last lot of 0.75mm I bought we blue.

They are dead handy things to have.

And if you have knipex installation pliers, they'll do all the sizes up to 2.5mm

I think the colours are handy if you don't keep them stored by size.

The last lot of 0.75mm I bought we blue.

They are dead handy things to have.

And if you have knipex installation pliers, they'll do all the sizes up to 2.5mm

I do have those pliers. The crimp on them relies on your own judgment on crimping tight enough?

So it's best to pick a scheme and get used to it?

I sort them by size in an organizer so I don't care about schemes, I just but what my wholesaler had.

Common sizes. 0.75mm for lighting, 1.5mm for flexes in plugs, 4mm, 10mm and 16mm for tidying up the end of earth's and the stranded cpc in 10mm cables.

2.5mm if you use a lot of 2.5mm SWA

thought ferrules were only used for for fine stranded, not general 7 strand conductors. however, can't see a problem using them for 7 strand.

The difference between the two schemes is the colours used to identify size. The reality is though as far as I'm aware, most sizes are available in the various colours, but the scheme's make it easy to identify size.
Any chance you could delete 2 of the identical posts above by myself SC? Don't know what happened there! :confused:

I sort them by size in an organizer so I don't care about schemes, I just but what my wholesaler had.

Common sizes. 0.75mm for lighting, 1.5mm for flexes in plugs, 4mm, 10mm and 16mm for tidying up the end of earth's and the stranded cpc in 10mm cables.

2.5mm if you use a lot of 2.5mm SWA

Is that just based on visually looking at them to determine the size?

Reply to Good crimp/ferrule set in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock