Discuss Good volts but low power output in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

crewdog89

DIY
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the electric running to my shop. I have electric, but when my compressor or chop saw is running, the lights go extremely dim, and the saw is not running at full speed. The compressor is struggling when it is trying to build up. I've checked the voltage at the circuit breakers, and they all read 120V. If I run these components from an extension cord from the house, everything works normal. The wires running from the meter to the shop look fine, and nothing appears to be loose. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Good volts but low power output breaker box - EletriciansForums.net

Good volts but low power output electric at sho - EletriciansForums.net

You may be suffering from Voltage drop when loads are applied, get the Utility people to check, don't know how the US deal with this sort of thing. you can only report the problem, could be the cables feeding your shop are to small.

Last edited:
Pete999 - Base on your reply I checked the voltage at the circuit breaker (123V) and then had one of my kids turn the fan on to my portacooler. The volts dropped down to 75V. Everything was working a few weeks ago with no issues. What could cause a drop in voltage like this?

Just a thought if it is the voltage. Which it probably is from the description of the opening post. Would a voltage optimiser combat this problem.

Not sure how they work.

I know they increase the voltage to a property that has low incoming voltage, but would it be any good as a reactive measure of when the voltage suddenly drops?

Pete999 - Base on your reply I checked the voltage at the circuit breaker (123V) and then had one of my kids turn the fan on to my portacooler. The volts dropped down to 75V. Everything was working a few weeks ago with no issues. What could cause a drop in voltage like this?
Supply cable not sized correctly, any extra loading recently, new machines etc, could have been OK when the supply was fitted but people are well known for adding loads without consideration for the cables supplying the building.

That's a 39% drop in voltage. Is this a new setup or has it worked previously and this has just occurred.

That's a 39% drop in voltage. Is this a new setup or has it worked previously and this has just occurred.
It's an old setup. Literally nothing plugged into any of the outlets. Only thing running is some florescent lights. Took them out of the equation, and the voltage still drops when a load is applied. This just started happening a few weeks ago. I've not added anything electric to the shop. I checked the voltage drop with just the florescent lights turned on, and it dropped from 123V to 119V.

So prior to this your equipment functioned with no problem.

sounds like a connection breaking down.

It's an old setup. Literally nothing plugged into any of the outlets. Only thing running is some florescent lights. Took them out of the equation, and the voltage still drops when a load is applied. This just started happening a few weeks ago. I've not added anything electric to the shop. I checked the voltage drop with just the florescent lights turned on, and it dropped from 123V to 119V.
Definitely need the supply checked out by Utility Company, are you a shared line, if yes have any of the neighbours experiencing any problems? if not the Utility Co them an Electrician may trace the problem, as Tel mentioned. it could be a loose connection somewhere, causing the VD.

Definitely need the supply checked out by Utility Company, are you a shared line, if yes have any of the neighbours experiencing any problems?
Not on a shared line. The wires running to the shop come out of the same supply source (meter box) as my house electric. I have zero problems in the house.

so the problem lies between house and workshop?

Is the supply between house and shop belong to the utility company.

The supply at some point is almost certainly breaking down.

The supply at some point is almost certainly breaking down.
Your wire is to small for what you are trying to do? I’m curious what size wire do you have going out to your building

what's the betting its a lose connection or breaker not in correct .I also think those tails are not in the isolator .

could be the fire wire nut

Reply to Good volts but low power output in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock